NOW what are they DOING??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by justacouplemorechicks, Jun 25, 2011.

1. justacouplemorechicks

justacouplemorechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    New to chickens so I am totally at a loss. I opened the tractor door earlier to let them free range for a little bit. I just went to check and all 5 are laying on the ground in a big pile. They seem to spread their wings and bring their feet up and scratch all over theirself and then rub their face on the ground. One is simply laying on her chest pecking at the ground in front of her. I called her name and she turned and looked at me and then just started rubbing her face on the ground too. What are they doing? Is something wrong?? What do I do?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Cleaning their beaks, Sun bathing, or Dust bathing.
    Maybe all three.

Get out the camera

Imp

3. justacouplemorechicks

justacouplemorechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    I think you're right. I just went back outside and sat down beside them. My BR roo jumped in my lap and proceeded to shake the dust off himself.[​IMG] All OVER ME!!!!

I have never seen them do this. Silly girls and boys. They just scared the life out of me. They normally come running when I let myself in the pen, but all 5 just laid there and looked at me when I first approached them. My leghorn hen was actually laying almost on her back with her feet stuck straight up. Arrrgghhh, no camera time now... they are all up eating now. Shew!!

Thanks for your help!! Something new everyday!!

4. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    100 percent..happy as can be and doing their bathing dance..they love it.. And are happy..so yeehaw..
    Xoxoxo

5. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    [​IMG]

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    That is when I know my girls are happy. Your girls are just having a good time.[​IMG]

7. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Wait 'til they flatten themselves out in a weird posture with one wing spread and lie there all still... [​IMG]

8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

dust baths = chicken spa... [​IMG]

9. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Important stuff to a bird, gets rid of lice, feels good, and....well....ya gotta admit it looks fun [​IMG] seriously it is good for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by