Now what to expect?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mybackyardpeepers, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Squeaky McMurdo

Squeaky McMurdo Songster

Nov 7, 2012
    Afton, Wyoming
    I mean, unless you want her to be a house duck and bring her to food and water several times a day... Those things are manageable when she’s a baby but it will be more labor intensive and what life is that for her really? Its easier for her to make a close bond with another duck from an early age so why wait until she’s older when introducing a new friend or two.

2. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Those are awesome!!! Thanks for the idea.

TropicalBabies likes this.
  3. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Yes very true, I just wasn't expecting to get into ducks lol. She is an absolute joy in our family though.

TropicalBabies and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Back last year a member had a blind duckling born without eyes precious little one she went a brought home another duckling for this one and they became fast friends. I wish I could remember the thread. But having another duck can really help.

5. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Can I get a different breed for her or should I get the same breed due to temperament of breeds maybe? Like I said I have little experience with ducklings lol. Thank you.

6. katiebrock

katiebrock Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Milledgeville, Georgia
  7. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    So far she is acting like a normal duckling, even grooming herself (well I hope it's a her) lol

8. CaliFarmsAR

CaliFarmsAR Songster

Apr 26, 2019
    So cute.

9. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    Ducks like Chickens are flock s so she will do better with a friend, we brought home a lone duckling with some chicks and let them brood together problem was it ended up being a drake, and then got funny ideas with the hens, was hilarious watch him try to get up to perch with the hens as was a big breed, and he couldn't figure otu for the life of him why the hens didn't like the water like he did. H did teach the hens to get fish outta the ditch running into the pond though lol. cutie would be better off with another friend duck

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  10. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Awww what an awesome thing. We thought of trying my cross beak silkie chick but she is to large and I was wondering about that mixing breeds issues lol. Might have to go feed store tomorrow!! Can I get a different breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: