Now what to expect?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mybackyardpeepers, Aug 15, 2019.

1. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    not sure how well they will bond on another breed, thought on it is if ya can get same breed to make it easier as should have all same behaviors, or you can put your silkie in with the baby duck and see how they do, it doesn't matter as much with size, that duck we brooded with the new baby chicks as probably 2 weeks a head and a large breed duck to boot, it played momma to the baby chicks

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  2. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Ok great. That's what I wasn't positive about, I don't know duck breed behaviors like chicken behaviors lol. Thank you!

slordaz likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Pecking is the big worry with putting an older chicken in with a young ducklings and vise versa. Especially one that can't see to get out of the way fast.

Mybackyardpeepers and slordaz like this.
  4. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    She has a cross beak issue but besides that I know it's not a good idea.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Ok I got the B Complex, do I give it orally? Sorry sounds stupid asking!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Have you given your duckling any treats yet? If not what type of waterer are you using? Until she is eating some kind of treat like dried meal worms or smashed peas, I’d just put it in her waterer.

7. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    No treats, I didn't know what or when she could have any. I just have a ceramic dish right now for her. Do they need any type grit or sand like chickens?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

No grit as long as she is just eating starter. Is she finding her water on her own?

9. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Yes she is doing great getting around the small bin. I had her outside yesterday, she was trying to eat the grass. They need grit then? So half ml in her water will work? I feel so inadequate!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

How much water do you think is in her bowl cup ful I’d go with half ml morning then when you refill put in another. I bet she’s a sweetie. Once she’s a week old start her on 1 ml daily. As you give her a deeper bowl to drink out of. When my ducklings where inside I had to change their water 2x a day they would muck it up so bad with their feed. They need the extra b’s until 10 weeks old. Keep the liquid b in the frig to keep it fresh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: