Now what... UPDATE: How many of you rent?

You don't always get to keep your house when you file for bankruptcy. It's a common belief that you do...but it doesn't always happen.

I'm really sorry to hear about this, what an awful situation. I hope whatever you decide to do it turns out okay. I should think if you fight it you have a good chance of winning, but I couldn't fault you for deciding that the stress is not worth it.

You might find someone who has a farm who wants some help on it, or someone with land who's having a hard time paying the mortgage who would be glad to rent you a corner of it.

Pine Acres, I'm sorry to hear your story too. Surely your mom didn't mean to get into that situation, did she? How awful for all of you.

Yeah, my mom did they told her that because she has two houses she could only keep one as a residence she choose the one she lives in with her husband. She got thousands on credit cards and decided to file. She however laughed and told me as soon as they would send her some more she would repeat the process. This is 100 percent her words. I had no idea at the time she had all of them. I don't think anyone in my family did, everyone is very mad at her. I still love her because she is my mom, but we have an extremely stressed relationship.

I also wanted to add, I'm really sorry. I didn't say that before and I'm sorry. We're on the other end of the spectrum ourselves, in danger of losing our home, and in way over our heads due to the economy, and we have a credit card with wedding, school, and medical debt in my name and my mother's name. If we file for bankruptcy (which we are getting very close to doing) I don't know if we'd be able to keep our home or not but my mother would most definitely be saddled with our debt. So I don't think bankruptcy is an option, I really don't want to do that to her because that added debt would plunge her under, as well.

I'm wondering how many of you rent the home you're currently in? I think that's my biggest issue with all of this - please don't think I'm being "shallow" - but we rented for YEARS (we've been married going on 27 years and just bought this house 4 years ago) and had dreams, as everyone does, of someday owning our own home. Now that dream has been shattered and I seriously doubt we'll ever be able to buy our dream home (land + a doublewide would make me ecstatic), so we'll probably end up renting the rest of our lives. I guess when you read about the number of pets people have on this site, you just assume (dangerous thing) that everyone owns their own home. So again, how many of you rent the place you live, and are able to have your pets, including your chickens, with no problems?

In our paper we have a real estate section with "farms/land for rent/lease", if that helps you any. Maybe your paper does too? Otherwise, look online.

I've always lived in the city, so I'm not much help there. Most of the flats I've rented allowed pets, but there were limits on how many.

I wish the Homesteading Act was still in effect. That's how my Great-Grandparents got their farm.

If you can get out with your credit relatively unscathed, it's a buyer's market right now.

Halfway thru a 2 year lease, the chickens and cats weren't in issue however, the house owner is Mexican, married to a real estate agent. She didn't mind the animals at all, so long as it's kept clean, instead of mailing them the rent, they wanted to pick it up at the door, so they could see the house was being kept clean, and the animals didn't smell up the yard.

2 bunnies
5 chicken
3 cats
soon to add a few dozen quails

It doesn't hurt that Mr Saddi & I are teachers, so when we filled out the creadit check, we also handed copies of our FBI background check, Good credit + FBI ok = landlord who wants to rent regardless of a pet or 2.
big_smile.png

Now that prices are so cheap out here, we have time to find the right area in the country with the 4-5 bedrooms we wanted.

My dad never does anything but rent. He doesn't like being responsible for maintenence? having a spelling issue tonight.
When he was married to my 1st stepmom they lived right in town and he had a donkey. His neighbors had alot of chickens and dogs.
My husband and I bought our 5 acres on payments and we lived in a travel trailer for 5 years until we bought a tiny little wood frame house and moved it here, we've kept adding on through the years and now it's gone from about 500 square feet to 1200 square feet but I have a feeling it will grow a bit more one day. Around here there are many, many places for sale by owner and alot of them don't care about a credit check. Maybe in your area to.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom