now what

texascorgi

Songster
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
White Deer, Tx
I let some hens go broody and so I let them set on some eggs. I went out day before yesterday and found a dead baby. Tonight I just went out and found a live baby but the mother began to peck at it. She would not quit so I brought it inside. My other chicks in the bathtub are huge compared to this one. This one is soooooo tiny and does not even cover the palm of my hand.

When does the baby need to eat? Should I try to see if the mother will take it later or just raise it? There was another egg with a crack in it so I am thinking that I will have another baby tomorrow.

I will post a picture tomorrow to see if this baby is unusually tiny.

Any advice would be so welcome..

Last edited:
If she was seriously pecking at it I would not try to reintroduce it. I have had a few hens along the way that killed all their chicks. I have a pair of parrots that are great with the eggs and great for the first day with the chicks. After that if I don't remove them they are dead by the next day.

Thank you so much for the advice. I agree that I am just going to try and raise it. Hopefully it will have another feathered friend tomorrow. Until then I found some of the dogs stuffed toys to put in with it.

Good luck ,
Just keep them warm with a red 60W globe, yes I agree with kstaven, dont let her have them back unless she is nicer to the new hatchlings though your loner will want some company to snuggle up to.
She may think that something is wrong with the chick, though having found a deddie already, she may not be a good mum. sorry, im condradicting myself!!
Just keep watching and youll know what to do, trust your instincts and ask again if you need more help.
Helen

I am excited cause my tiny baby made it through the night. *happy dance* I checked this morning out in the nest and there is another egg with a hole starting so hopefully the mom will not try to kill that one and I can have another fuzzy friend for the one live baby I have now.

Back
Top Bottom