Now what's next?

"Chic Grit Free"?

Grit is like sand ... it is included in your Chick food, but if you start adding extra's (treats) ... they need grit in their crops to grind up the food ...

Grit comes in various sizes ... "Chick grit" is the smallest ...

What is meant by "Chick grit free" means "free choice" put some in a small bowl, so they can choose what, and how much they want ...

I agree on no more vaccinations required.

You won't need a "heated waterer" while you have the heat lamps in there ...

By the end of the year you should be getting hints if you have any cockrells ... they tend to also be more "brave", "curious", even more "friendly" in addition to the above visual noted characteristics ...

They seem to be quite happy and content in there, you are doing a good job with them!

How is your little one doing?

Last edited:
Grit is like sand ... it is included in your Chick food, but if you start adding extra's (treats) ... they need grit in their crops to grind up the food ...

Grit comes in various sizes ... "Chick grit" is the smallest ...

What is meant by "Chick grit free" means "free choice" put some in a small bowl, so they can choose what, and how much they want ...

I agree on no more vaccinations required.

You won't need a "heated waterer" while you have the heat lamps in there ...

By the end of the year you should be getting hints if you have any cockrells ... they tend to also be more "brave", "curious", even more "friendly" in addition to the above visual noted characteristics ...

They seem to be quite happy and content in there, you are doing a good job with them!

How is your little one doing?

We lost our little one yesterday. She just stopped. I found her early this morning.

Yup, but most non-chicken people when they hear "granite" ... I think they probably think of a counter top, or grave stone ...

Granite is just a big rock that they grind up real little ... "kinda like sand" is just ground up bigger rocks
That's why I provided a viable example in the link.

The general size of 'sand', even if it is comprised of granite, is too small to act as digestive grit for chickens.

I know it's tough to tell because I didn't think of putting a ruler in the photo, but from left to right: chick, pullet and hen grit.

grit.jpg

The hen grit I have varies in size and shape but is roughly the size of a small/medium corn kernel.

The big stuff is kinda like "pea gravel" size ... any smaller than that is sand as far as I'm concerned ...

Out here in AZ we have different sizes, and actually textures ... we got lots of sand ...

I got some white sand from over near the missile range, it is very fine, and wind blown, so it has soft rounded edges, not good for "grit" but make a cool spot for my dogs to walk on for their potty area ... ;)

I have only one question. How come you didn’t have any mealworms in your hands Papa?
And I used a soda flat (box)
Put a shovel or two of dry dirt from the yard. They will pick out their own grit (tiny pebbles) and get your video camera out for their first dust bath.
Congratulations!
Looks super!

Back
Top Bottom