Now with graphic pics! Predator got 4 cockerels. Feather pics

Thanks everyone. The permanent hoop coop is under construction now. 2x10 base with about a foot of chicken wire outside and maybe 3 inches into the coup being buried to deter diggers.

Started filling today but after the 4th mini blizzard I gave up.

I am going to put a wire deer fence around the coop - or whatever it is called that many folks use to keep deer out of gardens.

Thought I would have my tractor by now, but supply chain issues means I have to make due with hand power and sourcing dirt a fair distance away due to rocky soil.

I should note, I have never seen a red fox within 50 miles. Doesn’t mean they aren’t there. I’ll see 1/2 dozen red foxes in BC or

Alberta on a 3 day motorcycle ride. Odd.

I have seen some wolf activity. Tracks. A grouse kill site.

I think it's a herd predator attacking your chickens. First possibility wolf pack second possibility coyote pack. If you live in the wild, buy strong dogs on your land. Keep at least 4 dogs.

View attachment 2608931

Geri
Much easier to just build a predator proof coop and run. Dogs take on a lifelong commitment and you still have to train them or they may become yet another predator to worry about.

Fox are starting to raise kits. I am betting on fox.

My neighbor saw a red fox carrying a full grown Delaware hen. It was a big hen. Yes they can and will take out cockerels.
I think fox as I mentioned previously too. I agree this is the time of year when they are having and raising their kits and here are mostly nocturnal hunters but this time of the year are occasionally seen during the day. There is a video on BYC of a fox chasing a rooster around on someone's property. I think they will take what they can get. I still think if you put up a camera whatever it was has probably been lurking looking for an opportunity and it will be back. I discovered with my cameras that often times predators have routines and routes. I have been actually able to identify some of them by special markings or injuries and have seen them on at least one of my cameras quite often. Again, I love my cameras and again, good luck...

Back
Top Bottom