NPIP tester

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by happyheart, Feb 4, 2009.

1. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Anyone else had the NPIP certification to become a tester ? What all does it involve and is it worth it?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I'm waiting on the info pack in the mail! I called to ask about having my birds tested and somehow ended up being recruited as the tester [​IMG] I don't think it takes too long to learn, the guy who runs it in our state wants me to arrange to meet him one day and bring 2-3 birds for practice. He did say that if you're a tester you can refuse to go to some locations (or go anywhere if you don't want to). They have several testers who won't test other people's birds for fear of transmitting diseases. That seems to defeat the purpose of the NPIP though.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    What is NPIP stands for?

Thank you for explaining it for me.

Omran

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Omran, it's the National Poultry Improvement Plan. In order to ship eggs, chicks or birds to most states it's necessary to have your flock pullorum tested.

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Thank you for explination

Omran

6. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    They told me it was a one day class and i dont think its even a whole day. I am really excited. i get so frustrated trying to get my birds tested and it seems like it takes them FOREVER to contact anyone back its a bit ridiculous. I starts emailing last spring and i just now got a reply saying someone would contact me this week . Geesh it's about time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by