NPIP testing...my issues on the subject

Thanks Speckledhen,

I thought as much just wanted confirmation. I want to ship eggs - when I get to that point, but want to do it legally so if it means getting NPIP, then NPIP I will get.

I am just getting my flock of Black and Mille Fleur bantam Cochins started, so bringing in birds from around the country. Do I have a vet out, or what? I do know that one of our local vets raises chickens. I'm thinking he'd be a good one to call.

I've been wondering about NPIP testing> Is that the same as the PIP? Do they have anything to do with protecting a flock if there's ever an outbreak of avian influenza?

Are there any special safeguards that I can utilize to help ensure the health and security of my flock?

My other question (I've looked in the forums but haven't found any links pertaining to it) is regarding leg bands. I'd like to use them to keep track of my breeding birds and their offspring. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking I'd like to use colored bands to make it easy to identify different lines.

Thanks for any advice!

Quote:
You might want to start a new thread for this question. You'll probably get more answers that way.
smile.png

Call your local county extension office. In FL they do free testing.

NPIP stands for Nat'l Poultry Improvement Plan

Last edited:
I just found out the information in my state (Missouri). It is free to participate in the NPIP, and the testing is free, and done yearly. Here is exactly what was e-mailed to me:
Rules are:
Birds must be 4 months of age for blood test.
Must be able to:
* catch and handle your birds individually
* Keep records of purchases and sales
* Maintain sanitary conditions for the birds.
You should participate in the NPIP if you hatch and sell baby poultry, sell birds interstate or attend poultry exhibitions. Testing and inspection is conducted once a year.

Note the word should in that sentence. I am emailing back more questions, such as what else is available to me (ie other tests available, necropsy process, etc).

With an NPIP flock you can only buy from a NPIP farm as well so that it why you sometimes see that in an ad..now if some don't that is their issue. Our flock is being tested not for my benefit but so I can sell my chicks and or eggs and if my daughter wants to show her special birds she can without all the hassle...still won't prevent her from picking up other things but that is where good care steps in.
Our state isn't free to test but I figure what it does cost I will get back .
Leg bands-we band all of our chicks that we have raised-the first chickens we don't need to because we know who they are.We band by color and number because when you get say 6 Barred Rock pullets together you have a hard time telling each apart.
How to keep a healthy flock...NEVER bring in a live bird to it and if you do isolate it away from the others for a month..never wear the same clothes or shoes from it's coop to the other coop.We have brought in some new birds but have the luxury of owning a farm so newbies are kept so far away they can't hear the roosters crow-ok nothing is that far away
big_smile.png

Quote:
eggzacly. I was always so surprised at how the testers never batted an eye when I had more birds ...and different varieties than when they were here last time. I hatched the eggs from other breeders but I could have just as easily purchased from a non npip flock and they wouldn't have been the wiser ...or even cared.

I think npip is for the commercial chicken houses and they just test the backyard flocks in order to protect them from huge losses??

ours tested this year for the avian flu strains also, which was something new to the tests which our state vet test. He asks if we added do they not all ask if you add to your flock and if they also were certified? He is a really nice guy but a stickler which I am glad for. He tested the birds for our local fair....every bird that came in...some people got a little testy about it but I thought that was great

Back
Top Bottom