NPIP testing today...lots of blood. I'm glad I don't show my whites!

They use the scalpel here in Ct to cut the vein under the wing and collect the blood in a small plastic tube. My girls were all very good about it they seemed to be bothered more by the throat swab for AI then the blood collection.

Are you required to test for AI there? I just went through the testing class so I can start doing my own flock. It is optional to test here unless there is some obvious reason why I should, like birds getting sick or dying on me. Just curious.

I just went back and read the thread. Didn't realize there was more that one page
hide.gif
It's early.

Anyway, all you need is one big drop of blood to do the P-T test, so why in the world are they SLICING their veins? That is crazy! We were actually give an 'instrument' that we can stab into the vein with and there is a loop on the end to get the amount of blood needed. The end to stab with is an 18 gauge needle, just enough to puncture a decent enough size to get a bulging drop of blood. The loop is only the size of I think a 9 penny nail? Not that big. I would ask for someone with a better instrument to do it next time. There is no reason to bleed out half your birds blood for this test!

Last edited:
Quote:
No AI swab is not required I think they just want to test every bird they can to make sure it isn't in the state. They also include a form with your license renewal that is titled Voluntary Avian Influenza Surveillance Program Participation Form it allows the state to test your birds 4 times a year. In a cooperative effort with the United States department of Agriculture, the Connecticut Department of Agriculture invites you to participate in the voluntary Avian Influenza Surveillance program. This program allows for the active surveillance for avian Influenza viruses (high and low pathogenic strains) within backyard and commercial poultry flocks. Early detection of Avian Influenza will enable timely control of the disease and help protect other poultry flocks from being exposed to the virus. Your participation is important to our effort to keep Avian Influenza out of Connecticut. In the event that a virus is detected within your flock and if poultry are required to be disposed of, an indemnity would be paid. This is considered a voluntary program involving sampling of your flock four times a year by Connecticut Department of Agriculture personnel. The type of samples collected are ;listed below, please indicate which type of sample you are willing to submit.
Tracheal swab, Blood, Eggs, Environment. for active or antibodies from past exposure. I rip this form up it is not required. It is enough having them upset everyone of the birds once a year let alone 4 times.

pips&peeps :

Only one drop of blood is needed to do the plate agglutination test. What was done to your birds was awful, there is no reason for them to slice your birds open and I would complain to the State about that tester.

The best place to get the blood is in the "elbow" area of the wing where there are two veins that cross. Any person with very little experince should be able to get blood on any bird with a syringe.

I can't believe what they did to your birds and it will also allow more risk for infection. If the State doesn't do anything, find a different tester for next year.
Yowza! I would have passed out if they started slicing the birds.
sickbyc.gif

I would have taken the thing away from them and asked if they would like me to shove it somewhere for their immediate ride home................​

I agree 100% with what pips&peeps said.

There is no reason for a tester to slice anything on your bird to do the NPIP test. (other than they didn't know what they were doing).

Chris​

Quote:
No AI swab is not required I think they just want to test every bird they can to make sure it isn't in the state. They also include a form with your license renewal that is titled Voluntary Avian Influenza Surveillance Program Participation Form it allows the state to test your birds 4 times a year. In a cooperative effort with the United States department of Agriculture, the Connecticut Department of Agriculture invites you to participate in the voluntary Avian Influenza Surveillance program. This program allows for the active surveillance for avian Influenza viruses (high and low pathogenic strains) within backyard and commercial poultry flocks. Early detection of Avian Influenza will enable timely control of the disease and help protect other poultry flocks from being exposed to the virus. Your participation is important to our effort to keep Avian Influenza out of Connecticut. In the event that a virus is detected within your flock and if poultry are required to be disposed of, an indemnity would be paid. This is considered a voluntary program involving sampling of your flock four times a year by Connecticut Department of Agriculture personnel. The type of samples collected are ;listed below, please indicate which type of sample you are willing to submit.
Tracheal swab, Blood, Eggs, Environment. for active or antibodies from past exposure. I rip this form up it is not required. It is enough having them upset everyone of the birds once a year let alone 4 times.

I understand it is voluntary. As I said, I just went through the class to be a tester and am just waiting for the vet to come out and do the field testing with me the first time and I will be set to go. However, I was curious if your state had it as a mandatory test. Are they charging you to do the AI then? I would hope not if they asking you to do it for their studies.
It is a good idea to test, but unless you have some reason to believe that your flock has come in contact or contract AI, then I don't see the need to do all that testing? I know it can get expensive as a flock owner to keep having someone come and do the testing for your so many times.

But still, the cutting with a blade on your birds I think was entirely over the top and they should not need to do that to get the drop of blood needed.

AI testing is free. I am in a "fly way zone" for waterfowl and that is why I get it done. And, the indemnity that it provides should I lose my birds because I am in a cull area if someone should get it.

I was just going to ask.. how much does this testing cost. I can see the necessity if you are a big breeder or have the hugh long chicken barns as a business. but it seams a bit much for someone who just has a small hobby flock or two?
how do you even contact these people or they contact you and how do they know you have chickens? was I supposed to register my girls?
I read int he thread its done before showing.. I cant find any info on how to even find a show.. to go to.. so frustrating.. I know Im just learning . wow lots to learn..
bb )O(
Pink

Quote:
It costs $1-$2 per chicken for the lab work. The state does not charge to come out and test.
I breed silkies and in order to sell my eggs or chickens to NPIP certified breeders, I also have to be certified. So, for me, it is necessary because if I do not get certified, it would really limit who I can sell to because many breeders are NPIP. However, if they were just pets, I would not have them tested this way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom