NPIP- what happens when you go through testing?

Fourgirlsoneboy

Pullus Parvus
10 Years
Aug 16, 2009
West Virginia
Our state person sent me some very general info, so I was wondering if someone could fill me in on the testing process? Ex, how old do your birds have to be? Are they still allowed to free range or pasture? How long does it take? I live in WV (not sure if that matters). I def want to test, but I am thinking early summer. Thanks and I appreciate any info you would share
smile.png
!

I have been told that your facility, pens, bedding, feeders, fences, records of sales, incubation, hatching, everything will be inspected. Mine was much more laid back, but then again, everything was pretty much right in front of them. All birds over 4 months of age on the property will be tested, Mine were wing banded at the same time, but if your birds already have permanent leg ID bands, I think that will work.

All birds under 4 months of age MUST be out of your breeding stock. That was the hardest part for me, not buying eggs or chicks for a few months~LOL Your incubator will be swabbed (up to 4 swabs).

It sounds like a lot, but 103 birds only took us two hours. The fact that it was 23 degrees probably helped move things along. I also had ALL birds in small pet kennels, stacking rabbit cages or small metal cages, not in coops or pens where it took time to catch them. This took about 2 hours on it's own before the tester's arrived.

It was a case of take a bird out, hand it to the testing agents, put the one they just tested back and have one waiting to hand off as soon as they finished the one they had. There were two of us helping ferry birds for 2 testers. The only birds they had to wait ANY time for were my 3 turkeys, since I had to get them myself and put them away. My 8 year old daughter was my helper
wink.png

All in all, we made sure everything was clean, a few hours of prep time, 2 hours of fast paced testing, $53.00 (so cheap!) and we were done.

Now, after you are tested & certified, you must keep meticulous records of sales, incubations and ALL birds, eggs & chicks you purchase MUST come from an NPIP breeder. I haven't really been able to get a straight answer yet, but I assume you can buy older un-tested birds, *if* you are a certified private tester and test them before they come onto your property, but I haven't been able to figure that part out yet. I am attending private testing school here in Arkansas in April just in case
smile.png

Must vary from state to state. In NY they don't swab your incubator or examine any records. They do the blood testing itself & a cursory visual exam of the coops. It is also free in NY, at least so far.

Back
Top Bottom