NPIP

crews28

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 27, 2014
Hello so far this site
has been a huge help friendly folks just willing to help is always a good sign to stay lol.
But I have a question I am in the process of obtaining around 50-60 different pure breeds of chicken to start a hatchery.
I would be selling eggs thru ebay and on here for hatching.
And I would be selling chicks and juvenile birds as well and shipping them across the USA.

So was wondering NPIP i do need that certification i know but is there anything else that i would need to get certified for or does npip cover it all?
if anyone has experience in this let me know please thank you and God bless!

U need all the brood stock before npip then any purchased and brought onto your property must be npip as well. Have u or do u know someone that has a hatchery? Or have hatchery experience? And what breeds were u thinking on? Like show, layers? I wouldn't bother with layers not any real money v/s the time investment. And if show make sure they come from a reputable breeder not just some peddler. Do u have experience and the connections to aquire quality? I'm not being mean just want to get u on the right start cause if for some reason u get a bad rap then you're pretty much done. But on the other hand if u become known as a good source with quality u won't be able to keep up with demand. One last thing only a percentage of the ones u raise will be good enough standard wise to sell cause u only want to sell well standard best of the best in live chickens so be ready to cull up to about half of what u put time and money into for upwards of 6 mo or so. Don't ever even give away inferior chickens cause it may come back to haunt u. Like hey bob where'd u get that chicken? Oh I got it from so and so, wow that thinks ugly and they call themselves a hatchery! Sorry I kinda got a lil Long winded good luck on your endeavor

Last edited:
And if u want to be known for good quality chickens if that's your goal I would call myself a breeder not hatchery. I for one think quantity over quality when I hear hatchery.

well I am getting all kinds of pure breeds including slandered regular type breeds like Rhode island red for people not into show birds and such.

Thank you for all the tips will try my best to have quality pure breed birds

Back
Top Bottom