Nubian goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Deerslayer901, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Deerslayer901

Deerslayer901 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    hi, I am very new to goats. I currently have 2 nigerian dwarfs but want to start raising Nubians. I'm looking into breeding and selling. Can someone please tell me some Nubian bloodlines or types. That are worth money and a supply in demand kind of thing. I'm looking for a bloodline that is a bit pricy. Because I know it will pay off.

2. Deerslayer901

Deerslayer901 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    Thanks for any help in advance

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Nubian goats, unlike other breeds, have a special consideration you need to keep in mind. It is a genetic disease called G-6-Sulfase deficiency. It is abbreviated G6S. When a kid is homozygous for the trait, it will be unthrifty, fail to grow well, and eventually die. It is common enough that you really should get kids from parents who are tested to NOT be carriers of the trait. At least 25% of the Nubian population carries the gene, so your odds are pretty good at getting carriers of it if you don't get animals known to be free of the trait.

Tested animals are more expensive. But will save some heartache and kid deaths in the long run.

By the way, if you're looking to make a killing off of selling goats, you should probably consider something else. Breeding animals correctly often doesn't result in much profit at all. The animals you see going for top dollar are not average animals, and their breeders put a lot of time, money, and effort into getting them that way. It also depends on your local market.

4. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    x 10!!!

If you seriously want to start breeding registered Nubians, start looking back through show records, especially the ADGA National Show records to see who is consistently placing in the top ten. That will give you an idea. Also start looking at pictures of them, so you can get a feel for what body type/style judging are preferring. Find goats you like or that have done well in placings, then get on the adga genetics website and spend hours perusing their pedigrees.
    Iron-Owl, West Hoeve, Hoanbu, Kastdemur's, Lakeshore, Redwood Hills, etc etc (and I'm missing lots) are all big names in the showing industry. (Oh, and Blissberry) You can expect to pay $500 to over $1,000 for a high quality Nubian kid, and that's before shipping or traveling charges.
    The big thing to remember here is that these people, some have spent their entire lives getting their names and goats out there. Please don't expect to go buy a few goats from some top named herds and automatically have winners on your hand and goats that people are beating down the doors to purchase. It takes awhile for that to happen. Just because you paid $1000 for a doe, you can't charge $1000 for her kids with your herd name on them. It just doesn't work that way.
    I'm not trying to discourage you from following this endeavour, I just want you to have realistic expectations. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by