Nubian with soft clumpy droppings & bloody discharge

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ls, Feb 26, 2011.

1. ls

ls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    My Nubian gave birth about 3 weeks ago and has had soft droppings ever since. In the last few days I've noticed a bloody discharge that seems to be vaginal, but is enough to leave bright red traces in her otherwise white tail. This is new to me, and i can't find anything on the web to help. Any suggestions, or should I just take her to the vet?? There is no change in her behavior or eating habits, but I started once a day milkings this week, and I don't want to take any chances. Thanks, Laura

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I think it's normal if all else is ok with her. It's been a long time since I've had goats but mine would do that off and on for several weeks after kidding. [​IMG]
    Is her temp normal?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Discharge for a few weeks after birthing is fairly normal.

How much grain are you feeding her?
    "Soft" droppings really aren't a problem as long as they aren't runny

4. ls

ls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    She gets about 3 lbs. of grain a day since I started milking, and hay. This is my first experience with kidding dairy goats, and I guess I never paid attention to the brush goats this closely when they kidded. I expect I'm obsessing over her, but when it comes to milk......

Thanks for the great responses! I feel much better about the milk now, even though it looks perfect and tastes wonderful, I needed to ask. Gotta love this board! -Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by