Number of chicks to get started

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by holly84, Apr 11, 2009.

1. holly84

holly84 New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    I've decided to purchase some baby chicks to raise for eggs in my backyard. There is a minimum of 6 if you plan to purchase from my local farm store. I'm not sure I want to start with more than I can handle since I am new to this. What can you recommend for a beginner as far as purchasing a number of chicks? Thanks.

2. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I think as long as you have at least 2 any number is ok. I started with 27. It depends on what your needs are and where you live. In the country you can easily have a bunch of chickens where as in the city there be ordinances as to how many you can have. We're up to 45 now, so once you start it becomes a chick-diction and you want to have more!! Good luck and enjoy your new adventure!

Sonja

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    6 is a good number.

I started with 19... but I planned on it from the beginning.

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    You can start with 6 but you might soon find out that 6 isn't nearly enough to support the chick addiction that will follow [​IMG]

5. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    It really depends on your space and how many eggs you want on a daily basis. When we started, we intended on getting 4, got 4 thrown in and 4 ended up being roosters.

We're now up to 65.

6. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Love how that works, you start with a certain number in mind and then wonder why you ended up with a zillion more! [​IMG]

Sonja

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    2 chickens or 25 chickens.. its all pretty much the same- the only thing that changes it the amount of poop and feed.

6 is a good number.

8. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    Whether you start out with 2 or 10 I would suggest you make your coop larger than what you are going to need starting out. I will almost guarantee, unless you live in city limits with rules, that you will want to add to your flock. I built a coop that will hold 20. I started out with 12, now I have 19, and I just got my first chicks on Nov. 4. Gosh, they sure multiply quickly.

9. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    we started with 2 and now we have 12 and 20 on the way in the mail. My son sells the eggs and wanted to get more to support his business. From 5 layers, we get about 2 1/2 dozen each week. Hope this helps. Keep in mind, you will want more later.. I wish I got them all at once cuz it's hard to intruduce two flocks. We have 4 different coops set up right now to keep each flock seperate so they don't fight. [​IMG]

10. holly84

holly84 New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks ya'll. I bought six. After reading your posts, I may go back and get some more on Monday. I love this website.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by