Number of Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nhorrin, Oct 23, 2016.

1. nhorrin

nhorrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have 10 White Chanteclers that are 30 weeks old. About the last 3 weeks I have been getting 2 eggs per day. Is it normal that only 2 of the 10 hens are laying at this point in time? Also one of them is laying a double yoker about once a week. Have had hens in the past and when one started to lay most were laying within a couple of weeks. Thanks!

2. roswell21356

roswell21356 New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    I have had limite experience but from what I learned they are young so they are still learning to lay but they are a duel purpose egg so that may only grow to like 4 eggs a day because it's not 2 of the hens because duel pup it's normally don't lay an egg a day so most of them may already be laying just on different days

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Do they free range? Mine do, and I have pullets laying all over the place. One thing I do is let them out later in the afternoon, and follow them at a distance when they go running for their favorite laying place. (It's kind of funny - pretty sure they cross their legs until I let them out!) Are you sure you don't have more than one laying, but irregularly? Could you have an egg eater? Rats or some other critter getting in and stealing eggs? Lots of possibilities here.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by