Number of Hens!

Unfortunately you are not likely to be able to tell sex of the chicks, though talk to them. One of them might be honest and have sex links. Another option is to get point of lay pullets, probably 4 to 5 months old. They will cost more but at least you know they are female.

Red sex link will be yellow chicks that grow up red with white leakage, black sex link will be black chicks with no head spot. A red bird is mated over a white for red sex link and over a barred for black sex links. But as a rule sex links sold at feed stores are all pullets. The hatchery does not send males as they are 100% sexable and sold as layers.
OK, I did say yellow. Redish and yellow opposed to the males that will be yellowish white. Same gig though, easy to tell at hatch and if sent to feed stores are only pullets sent.

So only pullets are sent to places like tractor supply?

Depends on what they order -- some retailers will order only pullets while others will order some straight run (male and female) chicks -- it is always advisable to ask the staff if the signs don't indicate "pullet" or "straight run". Yes, I've seen sex links being sold as "straight run" (which, since often you get a bit better price on SR chicks it makes sense if you know what you're looking at to pick out pullet chicks, lol). Some folks will gladly take the males because they grow them out for processing. Even with the larger orders that retailers will place they still sometimes get the "packing peanuts" which are generally going to be males, especially in sex links, and they may toss them into the bins without a second thought (have seen this too).

I vote get 8-10 chicks the first year, and then 6 each year. A dozen layers should meet your needs most of the year.

In June-July when you are getting scads of eggs, freeze a couple dozen, I do a dozen, stir them till pretty yellow, and pour equal amounts in a muffin tins. Freeze and bag. Easy to pull out a certain number of eggs and bake with them or use as scrambled eggs in the dark, slow laying time of winter. I almost always will get a few eggs each day even during the darkest days, but not always. this way I can use my fresh eggs for breakfast, and the frozen for baking.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom