Number of roosters in flock.

KM2H

Songster
May 24, 2021
Hello everyone,
I have an eclectic flock consisting of 17 hens( barred rock, rir, faverolle, Indian game, speckled sussex, marans, orpington mix, welsummer and maybe other breeds that I have no idea what they are), 2 roosters one barred rock and the other one came from a home with silky, black copper marans and ameraucana but I have no idea what the dad of my roosters was)
There is a lady near me who is giving away her 3 month old "blue ameraucana" rooster and I'm tempted because eventually I would love to have my girls hatch her own and possibly have some other color eggs. (Right now we have shades of brown and pinkish eggs)

My worry is to throw off the balance that we seemingly have in our flock and have our girls get hurt with the roosters competing for mating.
Also, what are the chances of getting any other color in my eggs other than my current color variety?
I want to make a rational decision here. I'm I better off just buying laying hens for other color eggs? I find it hard to locate people selling blue or green egg laying hens that are already laying or close to it, in my area.
I'm posting with permission a Pic of the rooster that is being offered. Thank you all for any advice.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1652186603313.jpg
    FB_IMG_1652186603313.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 24
I am no rooster expert but 3 roos with 17 hens sounds like a bit much. Since all your hens lay various shades of brown you'll end up with various shades of green from the offspring. I'm sure some more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

P.s. That cockerel looks splash

Last edited:
I am no rooster expert but 3 roos with 17 hens sounds like a bit much. Since all your hens lasts various shades of brown you'll end up with various shades of green from the offspring. I'm sure some more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

P.s. That cockerel looks splash
Thank you 😊
I'm truly very new to chickens. While I really want other color eggs, and shades of green would be definitely welcome, my main concern is the hens not getting blasted.

That age might work out. My males all grow up with the flock, so they learn their place early on. But he's still kind of a baby at that age.

17 hens may or may not be too few. I have less than that with my 3 boys, but one male doesn't breed with them at all and the other male rarely does, so its mainly just my FlockMaster breeding all of them

That age might work out. My males all grow up with the flock, so they learn their place early on. But he's still kind of a baby at that age.

17 hens may or may not be too few. I have less than that with my 3 boys, but one male doesn't breed with them at all and the other male rarely does, so its mainly just my FlockMaster breeding all of them
You have like the perfect situation going on in your flock with your boys. My two current roosters do mate with my hens.

Back
Top Bottom