Number one mistake

Jazzimom

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 6, 2013
What is the number one mistake newbies make with their chickens? I am just getting started coop is almost complete and should be finished by the end of the week.

One of the big ones is buying sick chickens from other people.

Another is feeding just scratch instead of a chicken feed with enough protein.

Another is trying to cram too many chickens in a coop.

Another is not enough ventilation in the coop.

Another is not treating for mites, lice, and worms as needed.
D.gif

Chicken raising is an on-the-job training type of hobby!
big_smile.png
Even if you read books - until you do it - it just isn't the same.

welcome-byc.gif

I have to agree with everyone's posts here. Definitely hardware cloth to keep them safe at night and close them in at night, trust me you will sleep better!! You really don't know until you live through it so enjoy it! Oh and if you happen to check on them and they look like they broke a leg or are twisted up on the ground, they are just dust bathing.

What is the number one mistake newbies make with their chickens? I am just getting started coop is almost complete and should be finished by the end of the week.
My mistake was to be too over protective of my chickens. I underestimated how clever they were.

I clipped their wings to stop them flying our of their run and over my garden wall, because I was worried a dog might get them .

It turned out that a dog got into my garden and into my run and the poor things could not fly out to get away. Now they are never clipped, and I had 2 more times when a dog got into my garden, but the chickens were able to fly up into the trees to escape.

They are good at looking after themselves!

When buying baby chicks, over heating them and not having enough brooder space is the biggie. I see more chicks die on here from being cooked than any disease.

I just got my chickens and I'm improving things as the days go by. I will be doing some ventilation work to their coup in the coming days. to me it's all trial and error on the coup and what works and what doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom