Nurture Right not getting above 37 celsius

RaeElizabeth

Songster
May 3, 2020
Edit: I figured out this is a known issue with the center 6 egg slots not reaching the same temp as the outer 16. Thankfully I was only using the outer slots anyway.

Thank you so much to everyone who helped me with my last hatch. I had 100% hatch rate with my two little basic units. This time I borrowed a friends Nurture Right because I had extra that wouldn’t fit in my own, and I ordered a thermometer to go inside because I didn’t trust the reading on top because the unit is not working quite right, it won’t let me set or adjust the days on top or change the temp, and sure enough, it’s not getting above 37.1 celsius. Which is 98 ish Fahrenheit.

Will the eggs still grow and hatch at this temp?? I am grateful that she let me use it… but I assumed it would work. 😒

Last edited:
Edit: I figured out this is a known issue with the center 6 egg slots not reaching the same temp as the outer 16. Thankfully I was only using the outer slots anyway.

Thank you so much to everyone who helped me with my last hatch. I had 100% hatch rate with my two little basic units. This time I borrowed a friends Nurture Right because I had extra that wouldn’t fit in my own, and I ordered a thermometer to go inside because I didn’t trust the reading on top because the unit is not working quite right, it won’t let me set or adjust the days on top or change the temp, and sure enough, it’s not getting above 37.1 celsius. Which is 98 ish Fahrenheit.

Will the eggs still grow and hatch at this temp?? I am grateful that she let me use it… but I assumed it would work. 😒
to change the temp you need to hold down the first button on the left (sorry can't remember right now what it says) until it flashes and beeps at you. Then you can hit the temp up button. then hit the first button on the left again and scroll through days until it goes to temp again (you may just be able to leave it and it stops flashing but I always hit it to get back to temp and believe it stops flashing) hope that helps.

to change the temp you need to hold down the first button on the left (sorry can't remember right now what it says) until it flashes and beeps at you. Then you can hit the temp up button. then hit the first button on the left again and scroll through days until it goes to temp again (you may just be able to leave it and it stops flashing but I always hit it to get back to temp and believe it stops flashing) hope that helps.
This unit isn’t working correctly and won’t allow me to change the temp or adjust the days. It is only holding at the factory set 99.5 on the outer ring.

It actually just needed to be reset. Glad I figured that out! So now I am keeping it at 100 or 100.5 so that the center reads 37.5 (99.5) and the outer circle stays slightly warmer (100.5 ish) which is fine.
Where the tray rotates there will be hot and cold spots. I would keep it that the average reads 99.5. You can rotate eggs from center ring to outer if you want. I just had a hatch of 21 so pretty much full. They all hatched within a day of each other. Mt thermometer was in the outer ring. I would try not to have it read too high.

It actually just needed to be reset. Glad I figured that out! So now I am keeping it at 100 or 100.5 so that the center reads 37.5 (99.5) and the outer circle stays slightly warmer (100.5 ish) which is fine.

Are you elevating the thermometer? Are there eggs in the incubator or is it empty?
It should technically read 99.5F at the top of the eggs so it will sometimes read a bit lower at the bottom. Not a significant difference, but if the temp is correct in the outer ring, I don't think I would change it. That's why old incubators used to come with those flat ruler style thermometers that you could lay on top of the eggs.
Having eggs inside of the incubator will also help to stabilize temperatures once they get up to temp.

Are you elevating the thermometer? Are there eggs in the incubator or is it empty?
It should technically read 99.5F at the top of the eggs so it will sometimes read a bit lower at the bottom. Not a significant difference, but if the temp is correct in the outer ring, I don't think I would change it. That's why old incubators used to come with those flat ruler style thermometers that you could lay on top of the eggs.
Having eggs inside of the incubator will also help to stabilize temperatures once they get up to temp.
This is with eggs inside already. I cannot keep a consistent temp in this thing and it swings wildly on the same setting. I am not happy with this machine at all. Hoping to still get an ok hatch but I can’t believe how bad it is.

This is with eggs inside already. I cannot keep a consistent temp in this thing and it swings wildly on the same setting. I am not happy with this machine at all. Hoping to still get an ok hatch but I can’t believe how bad it is.

Did you calibrate your secondary thermometer?

Where is the secondary thermometer placed?
If it's rotating around the incubator with the turner, then fluctuations are to be expected and won't be detrimental to the hatch. That's one of the perks to having a turner that goes all the way around the incubator. It will make up for hot and cold spots.

Do you have the incubator placed somewhere with consistent temps and not in front of a window or anything that would alter the temps?

Even with reliable brands, there will always be "lemons". So if you just purchased the incubator and you find that it's due to the incubator and not because of something environmental or faulty secondary thermometer, then I would exchange it or contact the manufacturer.

I just read the original post that it's your friend's incubator. Make sure to calibrate your secondary thermometer or it won't do you any good. I use an inexpensive meat thermometer that can be submerged in water to calibrate my digital ones. I've been using the same cheapo meat thermometer to calibrate my digital ones for years and years. They last way longer than digital but I just like the ease of reading the digital ones, lol.

Back
Top Bottom