1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nutrena products

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mikecnorthwest, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I was at the feed store today and got the hard sell on Nutrena chick starter and Nutrena layer pellets. I'm just starting out and will be getting chicks in mid April. Is this a quality feed which would be worth paying a few extra bucks for?

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I've used Nutrena, both there chick starter and layer pellets and had good luck.

3. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I used Nutrena and LOVED their products, and would pay extra if I could find it in my area, but, alas, I cannot. Since we moved we lost our Nutrena dealer.

Personally, I would pay the extra bucks, based on my experience. I used both Chick Starter (medicated), and Layer.

Welcome to BYC!![​IMG]

Ma

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Its a good feed, but I dont see any reason to pay extra for it if you can get another quality feed for less.

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    My birds won't eat their feed, my horses won't either.

6. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I like it better than Purina.
    Plus the bags are good for stuff around the yard.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think its a step or two lower in quality than Purina. My birds wouldnt eat it either.

8. Jetlander

Jetlander Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Spokane, Washington
    I have 50, 4 week old Silver Laced Wyandottes and they love it. They are growing like weeds. They are almost done with their 3rd 50# bag. I like the stuff. Here in Spokane, Washington it is going for $13.99 a bag.[​IMG]

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    My first clutch (and current chicks) liked/like it. I know that it's not the ONLY brand to innoculate against coccidiosis, but I liked that about it. My first batch (2007) might have just been a healthy clutch from the start.

Never fed any of their feed to my horses, but 2 are on Equine Senior, which they don't sell. (Besides, horses can be VERY PICKY!! email me if you want some stories!!!)

I understand (from my copious Winter 2008-9 reading of chicken books, magazines, online articles, BYC forum entries and even chicken pamphlets) that chickens can become picky, too, if you take them off one feed and offer something more tasty, then put them on a blander feed.

hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........[​IMG]

10. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I have been using both the layer and chick feed for about two months now. My birds were eating Purina feeds before. I had no problems changing any of them over. They seem to eat about the same amount as before and appear to have gained weight. I will say at this point I am very pleased. The Nutrena costs $3 a bag less then Purina.

Donna [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by