Nutrient deficiency?

Mar 26, 2022
Hey all,

My flock has problems. Again.
Last year my five hens had a pretty bad infestation of lice, and I mostly took care of it with Permethrin and DE. This spring they started molting, but their feathers are growing in very brittle (i.e. breaking off, fraying) and sparse. They’ve also started occasionally eating eggs that break 😳. I’m wondering if they have some sort of nutrient deficiency? They’ve had access to oyster shell, but I don't think they’re eating it.
Any advice appreciated!

What is their diet including feed, treats, free ranging, etc?

Both molting and laying eggs take a lot out of hens. They may be using all their calcium to make eggshells and not enough is going to their feathers. Generally, I think chickens know best what they need and let them eat as much or as little extra calcium as they want, but if you have thin eggshells and brittle feathers I might give them calcium citrate for a few days (one tablet a day for each hen) and see if there is improvement. Chickens also need extra protein to regrow feathers during molt, so if their feed is under 20% protein you can give them some extra with scrambled eggs, tuna, meal worms, etc.

What is their diet including feed, treats, free ranging, etc?

Both molting and laying eggs take a lot out of hens. They may be using all their calcium to make eggshells and not enough is going to their feathers. Generally, I think chickens know best what they need and let them eat as much or as little extra calcium as they want, but if you have thin eggshells and brittle feathers I might give them calcium citrate for a few days (one tablet a day for each hen) and see if there is improvement. Chickens also need extra protein to regrow feathers during molt, so if their feed is under 20% protein you can give them some extra with scrambled eggs, tuna, meal worms, etc.
I’ve been feeding them mealworms and they’ve been free ranging…as much as they can in my city yard 🙃.

Back
Top Bottom