NW Garden Coop ... AKA The Garden of Eggin'

sushifish

Songster
9 Years
NW Garden Coop...AKA "The Garden of Eggin"

A view of the front with two of our pullets, Harriet (left) and Blue.

The north side of the coop - you can see the ramp and pop hole door as well as the north smaller door with the flip up window open.

He found this great little chicken sign that fits perfectly next tot he pop hole door.

Looking into the cabin through the pop hole door.

Under the cabin, food bin and a cozy spot for the chickens to hang out.

An outdoor roost with decorated rocks below,

The outdoor roost with our chihuahua standing watch.

Pretty wind chimes

A view of the front side with the doors and windows open. The front door to the run, the door to the storage under the cabin and the big window to the cabin. We put 3 hanging flower baskets on the 3 sides visible from the house to add some color!

Big window closed

Snack time

Harriet on the outdoor perch.

Nesting boxes and north side door open

Nesting box with articulating roof.

Lower cleaning access door

... open

Inside the nesting boxes, shown is the removable panel for cleaning

... panel removed

A view of the indoor nipple waterer with the nesting boxes (with nightlight) in the background.

Eastern side of the coop - seen are the eastern side window boxes, the nesting boxes, northern door.

Northern door with the stained glass window I made of Blue, our Rhode Island Red. This window flips open for ventilation.

The stained glass window I made of our Silkie, Aretha. It also flips up for ventilation.

Inside the cabin

Northern window hooked open for ventilation.

Chicken playground, roosting bar, nipple waterer, nesting boxes with nightlight and windows with flower boxes.

Pop hole door cable running along the roof of the cabin.

Nipple waterer access hose. Hose is accessible though the storage compartment below the cabin.

Harriet and Blue checking out their new roosting bar.

Work bench with the coop in the background.

Nighttime shot. The exterior solar lights illuminate the cabin and run nicely.

And this is where it all began...
We have a beautiful yard with an open plot. I thought I would put a vegetable garden in there, but then we got the urban chicken bug. So the veggie garden was minimized and the coop construction began.
Let me point out that my husband built the entire thing unassisted. I did the painting but the construction was all him. And he is not a carpenter. He's an emergency veterinarian and I've never seen him really build anything. He built this beautiful coop all while working long, grueling hours in a 60 hour work week. With no plans. Mostly in the rain.

Digging for the foundation.

Laying the bricks and sand for the foundation.

The frame was started in our shop.

The nice neighbors helped us move the frame outside. Heavy!

Meanwhile... these three little day-old chicks came home. We got a Rhode Island Red, a Buff Orpington and a Speckled Sussex.

Back to the hard work...
Securing the roof frame boards and the 1/4" fabric cloth along the run walls.

The forest green metal roof (which may have been the most challenging part) and fabric cloth walls complete.

He made me a micro garden along the west side of the run. Inside you can see the beginnings of the cabin.

We spent lots of quality time with the three chicks.

And tried to help as much as we could outside with the big project.

The gorgeous door is mounted and the storage compartment under the cabin is completed.

No one wants cold chickens! He insulated the main wall of the cabin so I'd stop worrying that they'd be cold. :)

We found this great big piece of glass and he made a window frame for it.

The pop hole door mounted.

One of their first days outside - they were nervous at first but got the hang of scratching and pecking around!

Soon to be flower window boxes, screens not installed yet.

Flower window boxes, screens installed.

Nesting boxes (with nightlight for wintertime). It's hard to see, but there is a cleaning release panel on the bottom of the outer wall of the boxes.

Eastern side completed! Flower window boxes (with plants that still need to be planted).

We chose plant hangers mounted on the run walls to hang our feeder and waterer. Nice and sturdy!
Also, we chose gravel with sand over it for the bottom of the run. Easy cleanup and low pest problems.

We sadly realized our Speckled Sussex, Aggie, was a roo, but we found a great permanent home for him (a local family with 5 pesticide free acres to free range with 17 hens)

And we adopted these 2 silkies. The white one is Aretha and the blue one is Georgia.

And we added Phyllis, a 10 month old Serama and Nelly, a 4 month old Barred Rock.

We have a gorgeous and very hardy, functional coop and run and some happy and healthy chickens!

Absolutely beautiful! Your coop could be in a magazine! Love the colors and seeing the progress of your project. Oh, and your garden around the coop is beautiful too. Any idea where you got your rooster wind chime?

Also, wanted to add - Kudos to your husband for taking on this project - especially when he really didn't have any carpentry experience, and that he did most of the work in the rain. You got yourself a keeper!!

Back
Top Bottom