NY chicken lover!!!!

Rancher--a good reminder to all. I just got 2 new silkie hens today from a breeder in pa. She has real nice birds and these two girls are definately gorgeous. However, they were immediately placed in a large dog cage in the cellar where they will remain for a month or more until deemed healthy and free of anything that might be passed on. I always wash my hands and change before going out to the other coops just to be sure that nothing travels with me to my other chickens. Even with hatching my own chicks, I practice the same biosecurity. Its always better to err on the side of safety. I am sure you are thrilled to hear of my new silkies!!
big_smile.png

So, after fiddling with the pump a bit and getting the neighbors help, I got it running a few times and am all set for the heavy rains. I am also praying to God not to send all the rain at once as its just me taking care of the property. My dh called from ga and said they were getting tornados going through but everyone was okay. Same for my dd who is in college down there. All this weird weather. My cheeps are happy about the warmth right now but wont be when its gone.

Lynzi--love the pics! Mine wanted out so badly and begged but I was busy with getting ready for the storm and the new girls that came.

Be safe tonight everyone. Wind is supposed to be bad as well.

Good luck with your new ladies, Pharmchick! Take pictures...I would love to see them. Oh, & Rancher, too. He just "
love.gif
" Silkies...haha!

I Hope you don't have flood issues, because I hear some big rains are coming this evening. My horse and his buddies had to be hauled in early yet again this afternoon, as another round of steady rain moved in. He is a muddy mess. I'll have to clean him off before the weather snaps or else his coat is useless to keep him warm.

TOB

Lynzi - glad your aliens are enjoying the nice weather, but then again it is them that I blame for global warming.

Pharm - what I am thrilled about is you're doing well. Heaven knows what with all that's going on in this world. It's nice to know your feeling better, even if it meant you got Silkinized. You should see if DH can bring back some hatching eggs from GA. I brought some back from AL. Three of which were silkies. They're long gone.

Some more good news I found an egg in the BR coop today.
yippiechickie.gif
Though i suspect it's from one of the SLW's . Still I'm glad.

I ran a cord to put a light in there so hopefully there will be more to come. The light is on and will stay on til around nine when I get home from church.

Take care and stay safe,

Rancher

Lapeerian - just a shout out to say I hope things are improving and you and yours are feeling better.

A word on biosecurity......If you are going to quarantine new birds(this is really a good idea!!) remember many diseases are found in feces, so for good biosecurity practices, one should not only separate new individuals,BUT ALSO, change shoes and clothes or disinfect between visiting or feeding flocks. Do not use interchangeable waterers or feeders.

This wind today is just ridiculous. The down side of a warm-up: the gales from the south come roaring up the Otisco valley.

With regard to Bluekote chunking up and getting in the (roos') eyes - didn't someone here use it on themselves and get it in their own eyes? Remember reading that last week, but can't remember who it was...javagirl?

TOB
Nope... that was me! lol

A word on biosecurity......If you are going to quarantine new birds(this is really a good idea!!) remember many diseases are found in feces, so for good biosecurity practices, one should not only separate new individuals,BUT ALSO, change shoes and clothes or disinfect between visiting or feeding flocks. Do not use interchangeable waterers or feeders.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards hatching my own! Makes me too worried.
Anyone know what a cross between a production red hen and a black australorp roo create?
And is a "production red" a breed in itself? Or is it a catch-all name? I'm confused.

Ginny---I have so many changes of clothes and shoes that its rediculous. My kids make fun of me. I have more chickens clothes than work clothes!

Rain is here. Gonna be a long night!

Lynzi--love the pics! Mine wanted out so badly and begged but I was busy with getting ready for the storm and the new girls that came.

Well they're weren't out too long as I'm still nervous about the hawks that have been around the one that got a hold of my lavender orp hen before winter. She wasn't injured too badly, and I think she was definitely too large for him to pick up but her whole neck was bare all winter. They were back in the coops early, they were getting blown over out there!

Lynzi - glad your aliens are enjoying the nice weather, but then again it is them that I blame for global warming.
Maybe one of these days I go out there with my metal helmet and take some pics to post here.
wink.png

LYNZI - your birds are so adorable! Thanks for sharing the cute pics.
smile.png

TOB
Thank you!! Thought I had uploaded more of the others but I guess with the all editing I did from my phone some got deleted. I got my Roo from Adora - she has beautiful silkies.

Back
Top Bottom