NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Poor terrorists , Silkies & etc ? !
    ..our hens were having such a great time they didnt want to come in ..lucky the Roo does ..they stayed out till almost dark .
    Unfortntely we had a Eagle Pair check out our flock today . One Roosted a couple trees over & above them ..Lucky had them all grouped together
    I think it was a eagle..IT was HUGE ! too big to be a hawk & wasnt a vulture . Some one said their are eagles nesting down the river from us ..

My Roo is in the house with us tonight ..I cant wait for morning ...when he crows I almost never hear him ..Im sure I will hear him this time
    I washed him off some on the top head to neck he was soaked with blood ..I wanted to hose him ..but he was being good & I ddint want to force it .
    As then after I had to spray him with the blue coat
    I wonder why they call it blue coat ? LOL

Chick Princess
    Thank s for the finger tip .
    I had to hold my hand over his eyes so it didnt get in them as we sprayed him

blue coat is a good name for it .. LOL this is my hand after I cleaned it ..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Morning all. Up all night making sure my basement didnt flood. God answered my prayers and I didnt have to go out and actually use the pump. Now I have to pull the hose so it doesnt freeze into the barrel thats in the ground. Temp is dropping and the winds are howling but Im okay with that cause I have no problem getting the gene started if the power goes out. Have to go to work today on 3 hours sleep so chicken momma will be very cranky.

With the howling winds and the mess the yard and runs are from the rain, I am leaving everyone locked up. I dont need foot problems from the super muddy runs. The winds should dry them out some today. The new girls have settled into their cage nicely and just peeked at me every once in a while when I went down to the basement to check on the back yard.

Okay--going to try to grab a quick nap before I have to leave in a bit. I hope everyone was safe and nothing bad happened last night. Be safe today with the wind.

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Cranky is OK......Just keep counting accurately and read labels carefully. Have a good day!!

4. larry529

larry529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Bucyrus, Ohio
    Im gonna be cranky like mamma chicken,maybe you can bring me some lassagna lol :D

5. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Morning Everyone,
    Still extremely windy here. Wasn't up last night too much with the storm. Kids came down and camped out on the couch, I'm guessing because of the wind. Brought my son to school this morning and as I had to stop for some deer I noticed the water level in the creek was really high, looks more like a river now. So the puddles are now ponds, streams and creeks are now rivers and some of the farmer's pastures are flooded.

Hope everyone made it thru the night without too much damage.

6. My Henny Hens

My Henny Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Oneida, NY
    Rancher,

I'll check about receipts....this is our first time so I'll check with Cooperative Extension on how to handle that and get back to you. Thank you! Ooohhhhhh.....Birchen marans [​IMG]

My Henny Hens

7. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Heres a cutie....day old Brabanter...can you tell I really like this breed! [​IMG]I can see the crests pointing forward already & nice muffs & beard.

Nice post Rancher about bio security. I also want to mention that people drivinng to your house can bring in disease on the car tires. Also, eggs can contain Mycoplasma. I know we don't ask usually about it, but it is a cause for concern.

Horses out running around like idiots today with the wind....I always hate it when they do that, cause that is how they manage to hurt themselves. Lame horses aren't good for much.[​IMG]

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Yes that chick is cute and I'm tempted, but Lord I need to practice self control.

I'm not trying to puff you up, but you are one of the few , well ok only the second person other than Trish that'd I deal with for chickens. At least locally. I try very hard to keep a closed flock. I think I'm set with the breeds I will keep, so it's not likely I'll be adding any more.

That said, do you sell BM eggs? I notice that two of my hens have some markings and one is clearly goldish in color. While Iv'e got eggs in the incubator I am going to want to add to this gene pool with another line. If that is possible. Send me a PM if you're willing to sell me some eggs.

I wonder if it it takes BM's a while to get in the colors. The roosters were easy to tell early on and mine has gotten more pronounced as he ages.

Have a nice day folks.

Rancher

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Forgot to say.

The Feb. coupons for CM are $1 off wild bird seed and $2 off Nutrena Triumph Complete. If anyone can use these send me your address and I'll stick them in an envelope and mail them to you.

I wish you well,

Rancher

10. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Marquisella,
    I don't usually like to pepper my speech with teenage talk, but..... "OMG!" [​IMG] This is just the most precious little chick I've seen yet. Curious: how early can these babies be sexed? Are there noticeable differences early on?

I am headed to the barn soon to scrape the hardened spackle-like mud that my horse is thoroughly encased in after yesterday's glorious roll in the barely-above-freezing mud. Weather has snapped, and his fur is worthless against the cold now. Horses are flakes -- mine, yours, all of 'em! [​IMG]

TOB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by