NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Rancher, you are on fire today -- just hilarious! Got me laughing here with your self-deprecating old person jokes. [​IMG] Too funny!

TOB

2. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    I learned from another friend and neighbor that I might want to reconsider the people I had in mind for fill-in chicken care while I'm away. She told me they teased and tormented one of their roosters, and when he got more aggressive they shot him. So I definitely do NOT want folks like that around my birds. Grrrrr! [​IMG]

TOB

3. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  4. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

5. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    That must be something else having a rooster inside your house at daybreak! [​IMG]

Glad he's doing OK.

TOB

6. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Yay! I may have an outlet for scrap food! I had checked with the cafeteria in the primary school for getting any leftovers (lots gets thrown away). No go. Insurance reasons, I guess. I can understand that, even though it's dumb. lol
    I work for a couple classes in the cafeteria and am always heartbroken at all the food that gets thrown away by the kids. I asked the principal today and she's double checking, but does not have a problem with me keeping a "slop bin" next to the garbage that kids can throw food into. AWESOME!!! So many fruits, veggies, etc! The chickens don't care if there's kid germs on them.
    Today FRESH strawberries were going in the trash by the cup full! So sad.
    My chickens will be thrilled to have it. [​IMG]

7. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    That is wonderful. Have you considered taking a few pictures of your chickens and putting them on the outside of the slop bin with the words "feed me"? (might want to cover them in clear contact paper or put the pics in a ziploc, so it doesn't get slop on it.

I am thinking of contacting the local elementary school and seeing if any of the teachers want to hatch chicks. (I think it is part of the curriculum in K or 1st grade) I would give them the eggs for free if they would give me back the chicks. (minus any that the children take home with them) Saves me having to buy a 'bator and turning the eggs 3 times a day.

8. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    I'm not sure where in Albany you're located but I know my son did that last year in his Kindergarten class at Blue Creek Elementary in Latham. Those chicks were sooo cute! Not sure where they got them from but I would have loved to take some home, we had our hands full tho with the 3 we started with in between our move to Syracuse.

9. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    I think one of our local schools has started a composting program in conjuction with a neighboring farm for all the discarded food. But this is equally effective!

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My eggs were hatched out either last year or the year before by a bunch of schoolkids - a teacher on this thread requested them and posted pics when they were hatched.. The kids got a kick out of the little naked necks! =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by