NY chicken lover!!!!

:lau       :lau     :lau

Lord have mercy, they barely clean the litter boxes, at my sons house.  My last visit I complained.  

At my daughters the cats have their own room, but I doubt my stay at home SIL will wash the cats. Both of these cats are long hair too.  

I like cats but I am wise enough to admit I hate cleaning the litter box, so I don't have any.  I don't care what the ads say. There is not a cat litter out there that keeps the smell down.  :old

I don't mind cleaning the coops so much cuz they don't have to be done every time the chickens poop.  Though when it's rainy and muddy I really hate it.  I really should have french doors put on the wooden coop. Make it nice and wide so the wheel barrow gets nice and close.

The thing I look most for in anything, be it animals, houses, cars, strollers, anything is how easy it is to clean.  

One of my biggest pet peeves is the Refrigerator.  Why on earth do they have to be so dang, big?   If it were up to me they'd be half as deep.  Stuff just seems to get pushed to the back and disappears. It's like magic or something. :idunno    Ice cube makers my fanny!  I want one that cleans itself.  

I think it would be nice to cross a toilet with a refrigerator.  Every once in a while you just push a button and everything flushes down the drain and it's clean for another six months. :old

Okay I'm done for now.  Gotta go to DD's for the picnic. 

I would love a self cleaning refrigerator

oh I did not know that! I had been reading and people said that I should offer grit if they get to free range. I wont give it to them if they don't need it.

we also have an indoor cat. Used to have 3 but are down to 1 now. I don't mind cleaning her littler mostly cause I hate the smell more. My DH is allergic to cats also but seems to be fine around our cat. Bathing is supposed to help but most cats dont like water so much so bathing is a struggle.
Talking about bathing, I think I will be giving Emma (our Buff Orph) a bath soon. I love her feathers, they seem much softer then those of the meaties.

Actually if you bathe them frequently they are fine with bathing they are afraid of the fact it is new not the water itself. My cats you actually have to make sure they aren't in the bathroom when you take a bath or they will hop right in with you.

My Silkie hatched out 5 BABIES!!! They are a mix from my aunts flock. The possible father's are a Phoenix or a Japanese rooster . Hens are ....I will have to check I forgot. OK hens are Appenzeller Spitzhauben, Kraienkoppe and Polish top hats

Last edited:
I'm about to give up with all this sizzle nonsense Rancher! I'll tell ya with all the money I've spent, the time I've waited it's like what on earth was I thinking!?!? I lost two Silkie chicks over the weekend, the polish I bought at the chicken stock are more than likely both Roos! I give up. Think I'm going to throw in the towel and just keep to my Orps and the quad of silkies, who by the way are still not laying. The two I got a while back should be laying by now. Spring is here, one is over a year old one will be hitting a year old. And my sizzle eggs you ask? Out of 23 I'm down to 7! Yes that's right, 7!!! At least their on the tuner now so I don't have to keep opening up the bator to hand turn. I candled my duck eggs this morning that my broody runner has been sitting on. They're all clear, one was cracked and one I left because I was iffy it may be starting to develop.

So I'll be keeping ONE of these frizzled polish Roos to use with my smooth Silkie/Polish cross chicks and the other will be up for grabs if anyone here is interested. :-/

Well I didn't know or I would have given you the Frizzle pullet I just traded for hay. I'm sure her mother is still laying but I don't know which egg is hers since she's in with the Delawares again. She was with the EE's.

I reckon I could stick some eggs under a broody, but you'd have to take any unwanted chicks along with any frizzles. Roo or pullet. I also reckon any chicks being Del pattern would be the color of whatever blue, lav or other color a the cross.

Actually if you bathe them frequently they are fine with bathing they are afraid of the fact it is new not the water itself. My cats you actually have to make sure they aren't in the bathroom when you take a bath or they will hop right in with you.

I suppose I could tie them with a rope and wash them with the hose.
lau.gif
I'm to old to wash cats. Good garden o' peas!

Afternoon all. Warm day today and the terrorists are out enjoying themselves. I made the brats/monsters a nice mash with their crumbles and the leftover broth from cooking bill yesterday. At first they were scared of it but when the first one started to eat it, it was game on! They loved that! Tykes are growing fast and look real good. I came home to 3 silkie chicks hatched out and within the last hour two more hatched out. I am hoping they all hatch, including all the ones under the broodys. Moving along with my breeding program.

I use blue dawn dish soap to wash my chickens, especially the silkies. It kills any cooties they may have and does a good job of taking off any crud sticking to their feet and butts. I apply it directly to their crests and rub it in good and rinse very well. Keeps the cooties away pretty good. Its what I used on my silkies before any of you got them from me.

It works great on road rash. The day we were leaving for a camping trip my youngest decided to ride her bike in her flipflops. Put her foot down and yup, road rashed the whole top of it. A doctor friend of my mil told me to just soak it twice a day in dawn and warm water. Worked like a charm. By the end of the week it was almost gone and then gone with no scars. Love that stuff.

Ribs are almost done so I must finish getting supper on. Later.

Washing cats suck, but the best way to do it is to put them in a 5 gal bucket. They will hold on to the rim and you can wash them easier that way. Last summer I changed out litter to a corn cob type and he had a bad reaction to it. After some heavy doses of medicine he started to get better, but I had to wash him with a special soap that they gave me. Then again later in the year when he got fleas. I tried in the kitchen sink one time and it wasn't easy, then I did it in the laundry sink. after several time I started using the 5 gal bucket and it was so much easier.

I think that I need to get some of that miracle blue soap to keep on hand just in case!

WARNING: Lots of baby chick pictures!!!

Today was their first day out of the coop. Mama stood up to the other hens to protect them, it was good to see.

Thank you to our service men and women.
I don't like to say "happy" memorial day, to many have died or sacrificed a lot for us to say it that way.

They are so pretty! What kind are the chicks? Are they the easter eggers?

Ha ha - I never have had a cat jump in the water willingly but i have to smile at the sight of one try to take a bath with me.

Quote: I was replying to this post :
They have chicks
- they have what they need in their feed . I found a link before ..Cant find it now

Tomorrow is moving day - my chicks will go outside into the chicken tractor =). I am so excited and can't wait ti watch them explore their new territory. Also on tomorrows list is buying more feed, start the first fermented batch and get some grit. Then once they are out of the "nest" I will have to clean my now very dust garage.
So much other cleaning to do also I could use 6 hands and 2 heads =).
I'm pretty sure, no feed has grit in it. Especially pellets & crumbles. Chickens don't need grit if they are on a manufactured feed in the form of pellets & crumbles. The feed breaks down without grit when it gets wet. They need grit when they are eating whole grains & other hard foods that need to be ground up in their gizzard.

Back
Top Bottom