NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote: Dont mind Rancher he likes to joke ..a lot
I call that a egg machine malfunction ! is it a double yolker ? 2 eggs ovulated at the same time .. the egg machine trying to cover 2 eggs as one .
I get a occasional one too ..It is normal as a occasional thing . it sure would be uncomfortable to lay ...ouch.
It is probably the same hen ...do you have one that just started laying ? Sometimes until they get going they lay weird ones ..
Like one without a shell Too

Quote: Chickens need protein & light to lay eggs.

If you give them scraps,unless it is pure meat protein, it decreases the protein intake and they will not lay. The protein has to stay consistantly at least 16% for most layers, and I find that 18% is better especially in the winter.

They also need 15 hours of daylight to lay regularly. If they don't have supplemental light,they will stop laying.

Just those 2 things have a huge influence on egg production.

Don't give extra food unless it has the same or higher protein so you don't decrease the protein. Bread, popcorn,vegetables, whole scratch, all will lower the protein level. It fills the chicken up with low protein so they are satisified, but don't lay.

Finally found a nice home for Allie, yay! I thought I would be more upset but I'm so relieved to have found him such a nice new home. That, and he was so tired of sleeping in the house he would run from me in the afternoon when he saw me--regardless of the scratch he knew I was coming with. It is very nice to know he can be a rooster somewhere other than my basement. And they said they will text me some pics of his babies when he becomes a daddy, I really hope they do, I think that would be cool to see.

Now if only I could get these girls to lay me some eggs...

Cute avatar Pic ...is the building to the right a run ? or storage ?
If it is a run I would take off the dark tarp & put clear plastic on it for more light

Don't mind Gramma she's just jealous I have more grandkids than her.
tongue2.gif

Now I saw this thing on CBS this morning. Mo Rocca about this guy who invented a solar light. I think it was in the Philippines.

He used Water and bleach in a liter soda bottle. Cut a hole in the metal roof and inserted the bottle. The sunshine was multiplied so it looked like a light was on.

Then someone built a solar adaptor so it could be turned on at night. It was really cool. It might be worth some research if you have a corrugated metal roof on your coop.

I plan to run at least on 22 3/4 " panel on top of my hoops so I can put a cupola on top for ventilation.

Last edited:
Chickens need protein & light to lay eggs.

If you give them scraps,unless it is pure meat protein, it decreases the protein intake and they will not lay. The protein has to stay consistantly at least 16% for most layers, and I find that 18% is better especially in the winter.

They also need 15 hours of daylight to lay regularly. If they don't have supplemental light,they will stop laying.

Just those 2 things have a huge influence on egg production.

Don't give extra food unless it has the same or higher protein so you don't decrease the protein. Bread, popcorn,vegetables, whole scratch, all will lower the protein level. It fills the chicken up with low protein so they are satisified, but don't lay.
thanks you for pointing that out ..i didnt no the other foods like scraps can take away from their protien levels ..
Dont mind Rancher he likes to joke ..a lot
I call that a egg machine malfunction ! is it a double yolker ? 2 eggs ovulated at the same time .. the egg machine trying to cover 2 eggs as one .
I get a occasional one too ..It is normal as a occasional thing . it sure would be uncomfortable to lay ...ouch.
It is probably the same hen ...do you have one that just started laying ? Sometimes until they get going they lay weird ones ..
Like one without a shell Too
ouch in deed..it has a spot on it thats like sand papper ..and the size is ouch as well..i get dbl yokers every couple eggs it seems ..this girls is almost 2 yrs old ..

@ Gramma chick, I am sorry, but will offer this. My son and his family live in FL. There they met Miss Pat and she is sort of my grandkids adopted Gramma. We're not jealous of her of course, but happy she is not alone. She was there for Thanksgiving and that's nice. Point being you can always adopt.
big_smile.png

Thank you about the Brazil thing. I don't always catch everything. The phone rings, dw is talking you know how it is. I was just so fascinated by the set up and all that. I'm not sure I could do it but it does seems pretty cool. I wonder how long the plastic bottle will last though. Perhaps they will develop it with glass lights.

wow,crazy morning here ..went out to find my roo dripping blood from under his tail feathers and other birds sticking their heads up there pecking at it ..turns out i wasnt dusting his bottom well enough ..i cleaned him up and sprayed with blu kote ..the bleeding had stopped and i couldnt find a wound any were on him ..just blood on the base of the feathers ..they all are getting a good dusting again tonite .i had just dusted them all except him and one other hen i was going to dust tonite anyways ..

someone told me on another thread that the DE wont kill the mites on contacted and wondering if i shouldnt use something diffrent ..i no pyrithium works but i hate the thought of using any chemicals on him ..the blu kotes is the first stuff i have had to use on my birds except when i had the one with the prolaps...and even then it was witch hazel and prep h .

i am caught back up on my chores now ..i got 16 bean soup in the crock pot with pork neck in it ..yummy ..and my grand daughter showed up ..so now if i can pry her from her grandmas grip i may have to fall asleep in my chair till the foot ball game comes on ..

wow,crazy morning here ..went out to find my roo dripping blood from under his tail feathers and other birds sticking their heads up there pecking at it ..turns out i wasnt dusting his bottom well enough ..i cleaned him up and sprayed with blu kote ..the bleeding had stopped and i couldnt find a wound any were on him ..just blood on the base of the feathers ..they all are getting a good dusting again tonite .i had just dusted them all except him and one other hen i was going to dust tonite anyways ..

someone told me on another thread that the DE wont kill the mites on contacted and wondering if i shouldnt use something diffrent ..i no pyrithium works but i hate the thought of using any chemicals on him ..the blu kotes is the first stuff i have had to use on my birds except when i had the one with the prolaps...and even then it was witch hazel and prep h .

i am caught back up on my chores now ..i got 16 bean soup in the crock pot with pork neck in it ..yummy ..and my grand daughter showed up ..so now if i can pry her from her grandmas grip i may have to fall asleep in my chair till the foot ball game comes on ..

DE is a really good preventative, but it doesn't kill mites on contact. I use sevin dust whenever my birds have lice - I haven't had mites yet, thank goodness, but it works on them too. You need to dust the birds with it, then clean out and dust the coop, then repeat in ten days to kill all that have hatched since then. Sevin is a garden dust, so it gets put on vegetables in the garden and is relatively safe. Birds can ingest small amounts without doing themselves any harm.

Back
Top Bottom