NY chicken lover!!!!

@Sweetpea3829 obnoxious? I thought they sounded awesome! Wife hated the male, every time she went out side it would run full bore at her like it was going to attack, and then 'strut' around her feet. I said he's just 'courting' you Lol! Mine would visit the neighbor, Jersey people, only up every other weekend or month. Said they didn't mind and thought they were pretty cool. They didn't have a dog at the time, now they do. Doesn't seem to have any interest in the chickens but they're in runs. Don't free range anymore, don't have enough breeders to feed the hawks...

Last edited:
@myfivegirls I've read a few different sites that swear round eggs pullets, pointed eggs cockerels. Many say it isn't true. Who knows, I wouldn't have enough eggs to sort through anyway. Some say temp humidity of incubator, then I hear again sex is determined at fertilization. I'd like mostly cockerels for growing out capons. I don't need that many more pullets. Either have to cull them as soon as they are at a halfway decent size and they put on weight late, or try selling them and I bet there isn't much demand for white giant pullets.

OH I give my chickens back their egg shells crushed up. I don't waste a thing if I can help it.  (Not store bought egg shells if their are store bought eggs in the house) 

I once ordered DE and it wasn't to bad. Is that a small bag of oyster shell or a 50# bag?   

Walmart carries it I think.  Grow Organic $12.99 but I couldn't find out the shipping.  E. Fowl $35.05 shipping included. 

I ordered the DE because if I added the cost to drive to pick it up, it was easier and cheaper to have it shipped. Gas prices were high then. 

Perhaps you can get someone to bring you some.  I wonder how much would fit in a Flat rate priority box?   50#'s should last a long time. One site says average flock 6-8 birds several months, but I don't feed it all the time. Just occasionally. I sometimes dump some in the feed too. Maybe a table spoon full. 

Too if you buy clams or know of a place that has lots of clam shells you can crush them up too. 

Thanks rancher. Clam shells work too?! I have quite a few in the backyard. Whenever we go to the beach the kids feel it's their duty to bring home a bucketful of shells to clutter the yard with. Maybe they can be useful after all! But those are some thick shells....
It was the small bags I was trying to buy online, since I only have two hens right now. The babies have a couple more months to go before they start laying. But I suppose I could try to find a bigger bag. I'll check efowl and see, like you suggested. It's not like it's gonna spoil.

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! There was, indeed lots of cake. Cheesecake, Boston creme cake, and a caramel custard.
Shodack, you're buying too much oyster shell, and here I am, dying for some. I checked online, and the shipping cost more than the oyster shell itself, and I've got two hens who I've been giving their own eggshells to eat. I've asked the pet store if they carry it, they told me they'd get it this Wednesday. Went in Wednesday, it didn't come, maybe next week.
barnie.gif
Do you have a Tractor Supply down there? I grab the 50 lb bag of oyster shells there for under $10

If you are feeding the hens layer ..you really shouldnt need oyster shell

I shouldn't but sometimes do. If they're ranging they don't eat as much layer. Too the newer Egg producer has more calcium in it. I compared the Agway to the Country fresh and they're just about the same except for, Calcium and a couple of other things. Generally it's there free choice.

Now that I think of it, I don't know what I'll do with all that I have if I get rid of the chickens. Who is it who can't get it? I can send it in the largest priority box and have them pay for the shipping. I have no idea what else I can use it for.

Good memory @Gramma Chick!
Others asked that or suggested that also. They walked down a hundred yard driveway of nothing but dirt and grit to play in the road....I'd like to get some again, hopefully smarter ones. Guineas are awesome birds, beautiful (i had the pearl grey) and make awesome noise.

I'm guessing you don't have any close neighbors that have normal hearing?
1f602.png
1f602.png

I hear Guineas can get really loud. My dad used to say they were better than a dog, when it came to alerting everyone to the presence of and intruder.

I'm not feeding layer yet, gramma, I wanted to finish up the bag of grower I have, that I was feeding chick with. That's why I only wanted a small bag of oyster shell. Because I'm only going to use the oyster shell up until o finish the grower.

Do you have a Tractor Supply down there? I grab the 50 lb bag of oyster shells there for under $10

No tractor supply, no feed stores except for pet food, Walmart here doesn't carry that type of stuff. I guess they figure us city people have no need for chicken stuff. There are quite a few chicken keepers in nyc I know, bc I saw an online article on it, but I suppose they mostly get their chicken supplies online. I do too, but I like to buy several items together to save on shipping, but all I need right now is the darned oyster shell.

Last edited:
looooong overdue hello from Tough Old Bird. Still kicking around, just busy busy!

Rancher, I want to once again mention how nice the flock of 4 I got from you almost 3 years ago is. All 4 girls are doing well. To remind you, I have a marans, a Delaware and 2 columbian rocks. Eggs have slowed way down now, assuming due to winter coupled with their maturing age. The smaller CR is the most reliable layer. An egg every day or at worst every other day.

Hope everyone is well and a belated happy new year to all.

TOB.

Back
Top Bottom