NY chicken lover!!!!

@Chicken girl 15 What kind of pump? In well or house? Ours is in our cellar. Replaced pressure tank, I didn't think it was bad, it was, replaced pump next, I didn't think it was bad, it wasn't. Still crap for pressure, pump running all the time when we used water. I thought maybe foot valve is bad in the line? Well is a shallow artesian well, buried, fun finding it...No foot valve, 2" plastic line was completely plugged, maybe a pencil size hole.
Replaced with new, now there's tons of pressure, pipes knock when you shut the water off...

Last edited:
New here. Live in the mountains outside Albany NY. Small 7 acre farm with horses and goat, and getting chickens again. We had 4 completely free range before that lived in our horse barn. This time around they'll have a 6x8 coop w nesting boxes off the back and over an acre fenced run between electric horse fences and a fenced garden. Hoping they'll be more protected. Got a variety : Cornish X, Barred Rock, Cochin, Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, a few Phoenix, and some Silkie Bantams (for our little one). Plan to keep some over winter- but we are attempting to raise most for meat. Little one has severe corn allergy. (Can't tolerate corn fed meat/store bought meat on corny soaker pads) Does anyone know of corn free feed or recipes for feed? We will be getting them as chicks. Thanks!

If you have a local feed mill you could ask if they could mix up a corn free feed for you. I think my local place would do it if i asked.

I need plumbing help. Well advice. Our pressure tank needed air today. Jon brought it up to proper pressure. Then our lines plugged with smuck from the tank. That in turn ruined our bathroom plumbing and clogged our kitchen.

Now the question. What can I do ,cheaply , to break the smuck up before it kills all our plumbing. We have country well water an electric water heater ( which is 1/3 full of smuck) and 1 pressure tank.

Thanks in advance, I can't stand plumbing.

I know this isn't a solution but you could add filters to your incoming line to cut down on build up in your water heater and others parts. We got ours at lowes. I am not sure if draino would help the current clogged pipes.

Gramma-Sorry for your losses

Bakingintherain--How are you feeling? Everything else going well besides the weasel attack?

Ladyloveall--I have a hovabator with the fan, it is our best one.

Pyxis--CCLs are sexable right?

On my second run of my Christmas incubator. Since day two the incubator has been messing up real bad. They day counter changes as it wants, and every time the rack rocks the eggs the machine resets. One time I had to restart it. So ten days in last night.I candled, they are super active and all dozen are alive. If this incubator makes it I still won't be using it again. Next week I'll be able to order something else. It will be a hovabator, just got to decide the model. My fingers are crossed, I'd love to have more Mille. And a few are Mille molted Cochin cross. Now that the standards have their own coop there is more room for more birds. And I have an overwhelming desire to fill some of that space.

Well my cream legbar is now broody. Oh boy. No eggs for her to sit on though. I really want to start my flock over with light brahmas because my rir and br are so mean and I miss my huge light brahma rooster, bob. He was always a joy.

My silkie rooster passed last night. No idea why. He was really small but a bully.

@Chicken girl 15 What kind of pump? In well or house? Ours is in our cellar. Replaced pressure tank, I didn't think it was bad, it was, replaced pump next, I didn't think it was bad, it wasn't. Still crap for pressure, pump running all the time when we used water. I thought maybe foot valve is bad in the line? Well is a shallow artesian well, buried, fun finding it...No foot valve, 2" plastic line was completely plugged, maybe a pencil size hole.
Replaced with new, now there's tons of pressure, pipes knock when you shut the water off...
We live in a trailer so drainage of the system is super easy. Already removed all screens and such still no water in kitchen and bathroom has brown water. Pump is in ground. Guess it's off to TSC to buy a new tank and flush the water heater until the cows come home. Figured I would ask if anyone had quick fix. Thanks.

If you have a local feed mill you could ask if they could mix up a corn free feed for you. I think my local place would do it if i asked.
I know this isn't a solution but you could add filters to your incoming line to cut down on build up in your water heater and others parts. We got ours at lowes. I am not sure if draino would help the current clogged pipes.

Bakingintherain--How are you feeling? Everything else going well besides the weasel attack?

buying pre system filters next week. Its a great solution to keeping it from happening again. Thanks.

On my second run of my Christmas incubator. Since day two the incubator has been messing up real bad. They day counter changes as it wants, and every time the rack rocks the eggs the machine resets. One time I had to restart it. So ten days in last night.I candled, they are super active and all dozen are alive. If this incubator makes it I still won't be using it again. Next week I'll be able to order something else. It will be a hovabator, just got to decide the model. My fingers are crossed, I'd love to have more Mille. And a few are Mille molted Cochin cross. Now that the standards have their own coop there is more room for more birds. And I have an overwhelming desire to fill some of that space.
I have a mess of backyard mix eggs if your interested. The girls are black astrolorp and production red, both sets are pure.
The boys are 1 golden spitzhauben from PhoredaBurds and one silver from her as well. Oh and an egg or 2 might be fertilized by Bob the Lavender orpington. I also have white leghorn girls but they are tiny. Let me know if you are interested.

Other than the weasel everything is going pretty well, stupid thing brought me down to 11 girls :(
I love my new job, perfect for me! Been working a lot so my house is a pit but I have off till the 15th so I am going to deal with it between doctor and car appts.

How is every thing with your flock and family, you started a new job not to long ago right?

Thanks, Rancher, I hope everyone in your family is doing ok.

As for "more where they came from" I would definitely give you a call if I ever succumb to the Call of the Cluckers. I'll have to share some updated pics of the ladies. They're really nice birds. Do you still have a very large backyard flock?

Take care.

TOB
Yes, with three Marsh Daisies added. I tried to sell them but no takers. They're very nice and come when called. The follow me around.

Frenchy, if she makes it, will be eight in a couple weeks. While I want to get out of the chicken business I won't be able to do anything completely until she goes. To move her would be to dangerous. Chickens don't deal with stressful things very well. So I expect to keep a few for a while.

I do have a marans and ee pullet coming up. I'll be selling the incubator I expect.

Back
Top Bottom