NY chicken lover!!!!

So can putting out a little dish of beer

Seems to me you'd need a lot of dishes in the garden. I don't drink and spending money on beer that is going to the slugs would be a waste wouldn't it? I suppose you could give the slug filled beer to the chickens but then they might have hard time staying on the roost. You'd be listening to the "thud**" of chickens falling off the roost all night.

We usually plant garlic after the first fall frost up to early November.
And we've had our first fall frost so go ahead and plant away!
Just remember that the cloves should exposed to temperatures below 65* or they may fail to form bulbs when planted.
Good luck Rancher!

Someone laid their first egg today! Pretty sure it was a red sex link named Marilyn.

These Assassins were chickens ...I left them on the deck and someone spotted them You probably wiped out the post by doing highlight and backspace thats how I do it
Ahh, chickens! I had them wipe out all the peppers on a medusa ornamental pepper plant one yr, I was super mad! Was planning on saving the seeds.

We usually plant garlic after the first fall frost up to early November.
And we've had our first fall frost so go ahead and plant away!
Just remember that the cloves should exposed to temperatures below 65* or they may fail to form bulbs when planted.
Good luck Rancher!
we haven't had a first frost yet. Am I right in remembering that Kale is sweeter after the frost? I still have some in the garden. There is still so much to do.

Every one else? Anyone got hens sitting on eggs? I gave Buckwheat eggs today and a Lavender EE. Buckwheat paid no mind to Frenchy sitting on eggs and unlike her usual modus operendi, wasn't sleeping in the nest box with Frenchy. Then when the chicks hatched Buckwheat got in the box. After I moved Frenchy and her two chicks, Buckwheat go in there and sat. So I gave her some eggs. Crazy chickens.
barnie.gif

Oh and one of the Delaware hens is broody. What is going on?
idunno.gif

I always give them eggs I'm certain are fertile and some I'm not. Like the marans. I hope at least one or two will hatch. If not I'm going to get rid of them all. This rooster is just not doing his job.

None of my March-born pullets are molting now but several of my older ladies are. My WL's and BR's especially. Poor girls.
Mine are molting too...feathers everywhere in the coop ..
However to look at them you wouldnt know it ...They dont really look that different ..
EXCEPT MY ROOSTER ...HA HA ..Mr 2 Feather
With Fermented food ...their molt is never excessive

Last edited:
Anyone seen these bag holder openers at Lowes ? $ 8.- $ 9.00

I made my own ...Get a egg box from tops ..Free ...Cut off the ends.. tape up the sides..slides right into the bag

Pull the box up as it fills

we haven't had a first frost yet.  Am I right in remembering that Kale is sweeter after the frost?  I still have some in the garden. There is still so much to do. 

Every one else?  Anyone got hens sitting on eggs?  I gave Buckwheat eggs today and a Lavender EE.  Buckwheat paid no mind to Frenchy sitting on eggs and unlike her usual modus operendi, wasn't sleeping in the nest box with Frenchy. Then when the chicks hatched Buckwheat got in the box.  After I moved Frenchy and her two chicks, Buckwheat go in there and sat.  So I gave her some eggs. Crazy chickens. :barnie

Oh and one of the Delaware hens is broody.  What is going on?  :idunno  

I always give them eggs I'm certain are fertile and some I'm not. Like the marans.  I hope at least one or two will hatch. If not I'm going to get rid of them all. This rooster is just not doing his job. 

I've got another broody right now too. Seems the year of the broody over here, more days with broody chickens than w/o in 2016. I stopped letting them hatch anything out back in June/July tho. (Population control being enforced over here.) I've stopped trying to de-broody them, too. I'm just very careful that I pull all eggs out from under them daily. I had a couple hide eggs under their wings this summer, so I check very carefully. The broody spitz don't seem to care when I reach under them. Or maybe they're just used to it.
1f62c.png

Back
Top Bottom