NY chicken lover!!!!

Well since I've sampled 3 orchards' apple fritters and none are like back home in CT, I decided to make my own for dinner - Yes, dinner! I may not cook but I can bake when there is something I reallllllllly want to make! This my friends, is how a Southington, CT Apple Harvest Festival Apple Fritter is made....

Lynzi,

Those look ridiculously delicious. If you wouldn't mind sharing the recipe, I might be inclined to try my hand at making those myself! My friend had an apple tree blow down and is sharing a lot of apples. So this is good timing.

Thx,

TOB

Lynzi,

Those look ridiculously delicious. If you wouldn't mind sharing the recipe, I might be inclined to try my hand at making those myself! My friend had an apple tree blow down and is sharing a lot of apples. So this is good timing.

Thx,

TOB

Not at all...Here it is:

1 Egg, beaten
3/4 cup Milk
1 1/2 cup Flour (whole wheat) - recipe calls for whole wheat but I didn't have any, came out just fine using regular flour
2 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
2-2 1/2 cups of Diced Apples

Beat egg in a large bowl
(there is no step in this recipe that says when to add in the milk so I just added it in after the egg was beaten)

Measure dry ingredients. Add to beaten egg. (And milk)
Mix well

Fold in apples.

Drop by large mounded teaspoonfuls into hot Butter Flavor Crisco. Cook on both sides. (Again, recipe calls for the crisco, but I just dropped them into my deep fryer in vegetable oil)

Drain on paper towels.

Shake Fritters in cinnamon/sugar mixture in a large paper bag. (I just toss them around in a bowl, shaking the cinnamon and sugar all over them and then move them to a clean bowl.)

For those who have/use the electric netting, how much do you worry about locking the birds up at night? Do you still make sure they are locked up, or don't you? (Keep in mind I am using mine just as fencing - unelectrified) Just wondering because on nights like tonight, I got the ducks back into the fenced in area but was having a hard time getting them to go into their coop/house. The chickens are locked up but the ducks are not at this point. The fencing is closed up, just waiting to go back out there to close up the duck house hoping they are inside finally. but was just curious as to whether or not it would be a good idea or bad idea to not lock them up as long as they were confined to the fenced in area.

For those who have/use the electric netting, how much do you worry about locking the birds up at night? Do you still make sure they are locked up, or don't you? (Keep in mind I am using mine just as fencing - unelectrified) Just wondering because on nights like tonight, I got the ducks back into the fenced in area but was having a hard time getting them to go into their coop/house. The chickens are locked up but the ducks are not at this point. The fencing is closed up, just waiting to go back out there to close up the duck house hoping they are inside finally. but was just curious as to whether or not it would be a good idea or bad idea to not lock them up as long as they were confined to the fenced in area.

My hens go into their coop on their own and have an auto pop door. They never stay out after dark.
But the netting gives me piece of mind that no predators can try to get into the coop since its surrounded on 3 sides by netting. The front is covered in hardware cloth.

ETA: my fence is electrified. I wouldn't leave mine out all night unless it was electrified. Otherwise its just a flimsy fence any easy predator could get thru

Last edited:
Not at all...Here it is:

1 Egg, beaten
3/4 cup Milk
1 1/2 cup Flour (whole wheat) - recipe calls for whole wheat but I didn't have any, came out just fine using regular flour
2 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
2-2 1/2 cups of Diced Apples

Beat egg in a large bowl
(there is no step in this recipe that says when to add in the milk so I just added it in after the egg was beaten)

Measure dry ingredients. Add to beaten egg. (And milk)
Mix well

Fold in apples.

Drop by large mounded teaspoonfuls into hot Butter Flavor Crisco. Cook on both sides. (Again, recipe calls for the crisco, but I just dropped them into my deep fryer in vegetable oil)

Drain on paper towels.

Shake Fritters in cinnamon/sugar mixture in a large paper bag. (I just toss them around in a bowl, shaking the cinnamon and sugar all over them and then move them to a clean bowl.)

OMG that is awesome! Can't wait to try it.

Stony's fox picture got me thinking about my foxes. We had a family in the back field in June. I'm sure that they'll be back next year. The hubby and I agreed that it was fine before, but now that we have the chickens and ducks, the foxes better stay away or they will end up just like Stony's. I think that they have stayed away so far cause the run is right next to the dogs. I have a feeling that my luck will someday run out.

Here is a picture that I took of the babies playing one afternoon. (The zoom on the camera that I used wasn't as good as my other one and it is pretty far away) The mom/dad came out later that day. It sat and watched me for a little bit and as soon as I started to walk that way it sounded the alarm and ran. We saw them playing every day for about a week, then a few weeks later we heard a few shots from the neighbors up the hill and we didn't see them again.

Stony's fox picture got me thinking about my foxes. We had a family in the back field in June. I'm sure that they'll be back next year. The hubby and I agreed that it was fine before, but now that we have the chickens and ducks, the foxes better stay away or they will end up just like Stony's. I think that they have stayed away so far cause the run is right next to the dogs. I have a feeling that my luck will someday run out.

Here is a picture that I took of the babies playing one afternoon. (The zoom on the camera that I used wasn't as good as my other one and it is pretty far away) The mom/dad came out later that day. It sat and watched me for a little bit and as soon as I started to walk that way it sounded the alarm and ran. We saw them playing every day for about a week, then a few weeks later we heard a few shots from the neighbors up the hill and we didn't see them again.

If that was me with known foxes in the area my fence would be electrified 24/7. I know I have coyotes, raccoons & red fox near me. I only saw the coyote after it was hit in front of my house & took off across my yard into the woods. Coons are seen hit on my street as well and foxes have been seen less than a mile from me. Perhaps the scents of my dogs keep them away but my dogs are not out 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom