NY chicken lover!!!!

I hate our rabbits. Biggest waste of space since no one holds them and they scratch the crap out of you when go to hold them. Kids dont play with them because of it. Drink, eat, and poo all they do.

Rabbit poop can be added to the garden without composting. THAT's a real bonus, IMO.

BRRRRRRrrrrrr It is so cold...I hate it doesn't look like it will get warm for a while...

I wish that I could sneak up on my flock without them running out. I went out this afternoon to give them fresh water and everyone was snuggled in the duck hut. It is about 4ft by 3ft and inside snuggled in was 10 hens, a rooster, and my 2 ducks...yup even the ducks got in there today. I know it must have been really cold to have the boys in with the rest of the girls. It was so funny to see them all come out of there. I wish that I could have sneaked up on them and closed the door to just take a picture of them all huddled in there. I'm glad that I added that new window for more ventilation. They are all just starting to heal up from the frostbite they had from the last blast of cold air. I just don't get it. They have a very nice comfortable coop and they all just want to be in the duck hut. They just like to be snuggled up together in close quarters...Why can't they do it in the coop though?

BRRRRRRrrrrrr It is so cold...I hate it doesn't look like it will get warm for a while...

I wish that I could sneak up on my flock without them running out. I went out this afternoon to give them fresh water and everyone was snuggled in the duck hut. It is about 4ft by 3ft and inside snuggled in was 10 hens, a rooster, and my 2 ducks...yup even the ducks got in there today. I know it must have been really cold to have the boys in with the rest of the girls. It was so funny to see them all come out of there. I wish that I could have sneaked up on them and closed the door to just take a picture of them all huddled in there. I'm glad that I added that new window for more ventilation. They are all just starting to heal up from the frostbite they had from the last blast of cold air. I just don't get it. They have a very nice comfortable coop and they all just want to be in the duck hut. They just like to be snuggled up together in close quarters...Why can't they do it in the coop though?
reminds me of here late this am. One of my breeding pens has my own breed of mutt
big_smile.png
and a big RIR rooster and 1 RIR. So 1 rooster and 8 hens with him. My mutts are mainly splash's. The rooster was in the corner (he is more than twice their size) and he had a splash hen under him and one under each wing. I was wishing I had my phone with me to snap a pic. I told him what a good boy he has become and moved on. It was pretty darn cute. He musta learned that trick from watching the good Sumatra roo's
big_smile.png

I hate our rabbits. Biggest waste of space since no one holds them and they scratch the crap out of you when go to hold them. Kids dont play with them because of it. Drink, eat, and poo all they do.

Sounds like they'd make yummie food!

They make special bedding for horses, if you want to pamper them...however straw is usually used as bedding and hay is fed to the animal. I am sure they try to eat their bedding, but since the hay is up where they can reach it easier they will usually go the easy route and eat the food, not the bedding.

Edited to add: Hey, I didn't know they used saw dust, but it does make sense. Now I learned something and can go to bed.

I couldn't imagine trying to pick poo out of straw. Sawdust gets too heavy for me, I prefer pine shavings.

sorry not chicken related but I have to ask...Who here that lives out near Buffalo, plans on visiting the Buffalo Dinosaur BBQ??? It's due to open early February.
ME ME ME ME.........when we got to EMS conferences in Rochester & Syracuse that is always top on our list of where to go. And we always stop in on Sunday for take out to take home. Love Dino BBQ
love.gif

My name is Erric, located about 15 mins from Niagara Falls... been scouting on BYC for a while. I just recently signed up to create an account because I wanted to start posting!

I have a small flock of nine hens with a mixed variety. I am looking to increase my flock, however Tractor Supply seems to have put limits on the minimum for how many poults you have to buy. And when I went on Murray Mcmurray hatchery's website, They wanted 30+ dollars for just 3 eggs of a Leghorn. And there are not guaranteed to hatch!!!

Is there anyone nearby that would be interested in getting rid of some fertilized eggs? Not looking for handouts, I just feel, and I'm assuming most of you guys feel… That the cost of fertilize eggs from hatcheries are a bit pricey.

Sorry, but I actually laughed. You birds are still on paper towels. I swear that a lot of the dust in brooders happens after wood chips are added.

You are probably not going to get your chicken to stand still to vacumn it. Nor is it really necessary....just build them a house outdoors and let the dust add to the soil.

I guess you would be really grossed out to know that household dust has millions of dead people skin pieces in it. People give off "dander" too....and dust mites eat the people dander. Also, if you are "allergic to dust" you are actually having an allergic reaction to the poo from the dust mites floating in the air.

So, spare the chickens the horror of the vacumn and run your vac nozzle over your hubby.
Oh Cass! Your responses are wonderful! TY! Yes, we use the box bottoms from Aldi's and paper towels, and recently we added a box with pine shavings for them to sleep in. Every couple of days, we replace the whole set up. New boxes, new shavings,
Funny you mention about dust mites. We have those hypoallergenic mattress liners and pillow cases. The sheets and pillow cases are changed every couple of days, but if a more than a day or 2 goes by I vacuum the bed. We'll be working on building a coop of some sort so they can go outside. They're just so tiny now, and adorable and cuddly! But we want what's best for them and if they are supposed to go outside, we will have to let them. I trust all of you on this forum, you've been at this longer than we have! Stay warm everyone!

Back
Top Bottom