NY chicken lover!!!!

Welcome to all the newbies. Welcome back to all the missing members.

Now that I caught up on this thread I have to go to the picnic thread and read through the WHOLE thing to find out what I asked people to bring for me so I can bring the right amount of money. I don't have paypal (that works anyway...password snafu that even phone calls couldn't resolve) So I am hoping people will trust me and bring the chicks and syrup and hmm...I better go read that thread and find out what else I asked for.

I've gotten a couple of really bloody eggs before that were definitely NOT fertile- never happened again so I just guessed it was a glitch.. :(

Do you have any chickens are you are trying to "downsize"? If you do my husband (don't ask...but "get divorce IS on the "to do" list) wants some chickens to add to the two that survived the winter at his new house. (Family member left them for his girlfriend to take care of, since she always admired them)

Do you have any chickens are you are trying to "downsize"? If you do my husband (don't ask...but "get divorce IS on the "to do" list) wants some chickens to add to the two that survived the winter at his new house. (Family member left them for his girlfriend to take care of, since she always admired them)
ACK! I won't ask. :p But yes actually I do. I have one coop of very friendly ladies I was considering rehoming. I'll PM you.

Morning All,
Candled the 13 eggs that went into the LG a few days ago...I think at the most 2-3 are developing. I don't know why I can't incubate in that think. Most of the Orp eggs have blood rings in them again, that always seems to happen too. What the heck causes that!?! Owell. At least I finally for an egg from the third female duck! (It's the green one in the middle)

Morning all. Chilly start to a beautiful day. I released the silkies to freerange this morning and they are loving it. Except for Junior. He and his girl get to come out later as he and his father are still squabbling. Junior doesnt mess with Little Man. He has learned that Little Man can and will put him down. The terrorists will get their turn this afternoon. Got 15 eggs from 19 hens yesterday. Good girls!

The tots downstairs certainly are a busy wild bunch. Lots of chriping and jumping and flying. Cant wait till they are old enough to move them to the empty coop. They will have more room to raise havoc in!

Lynzi--is your bator running right? It seems you are having an awful lot of problems hatching with it. Maybe its time for a new one. I have a hovabator like ranchers but with a fan and electronic readout for humidity and temp. Works real nice and I have had great hatches with it. I have 38 due to hatch on monday.

Today I am off! Woot! I am going to run a couple errands this morning, go buy a lawn chair and sit outside with the terrorists this afternoon and soak up some sun and enjoy some chicken therapy. I reallllllllllllly neeeeeeed some chicken therapy!

Stony----feathers

Morning all. Chilly start to a beautiful day. I released the silkies to freerange this morning and they are loving it. Except for Junior. He and his girl get to come out later as he and his father are still squabbling. Junior doesnt mess with Little Man. He has learned that Little Man can and will put him down. The terrorists will get their turn this afternoon. Got 15 eggs from 19 hens yesterday. Good girls!

The tots downstairs certainly are a busy wild bunch. Lots of chriping and jumping and flying. Cant wait till they are old enough to move them to the empty coop. They will have more room to raise havoc in!

Lynzi--is your bator running right? It seems you are having an awful lot of problems hatching with it. Maybe its time for a new one. I have a hovabator like ranchers but with a fan and electronic readout for humidity and temp. Works real nice and I have had great hatches with it. I have 38 due to hatch on monday.

Today I am off! Woot! I am going to run a couple errands this morning, go buy a lawn chair and sit outside with the terrorists this afternoon and soak up some sun and enjoy some chicken therapy. I reallllllllllllly neeeeeeed some chicken therapy!

Stony----feathers

This is my LG I bought last year...I wanted to give it one more try before chucking it. Thought I would try a "dry hatch" in it with 13 eggs - Orp and Silkie eggs this time and it's like nothing happened at all. I have a hygrometer in there reading 20% for humidity just like I have in my Brinsea and the temp stays at 99 degrees, give or take a degree. I just don't have luck with that thing so I'm done with it. I started it while I still had eggs in the Brinsea. Today I have 5 duck eggs, 2 from yesterday, 3 from today that are going into the Brinsea. I have no idea if they are fertile or not, I couldn't really tell when I cracked them open last week and looked at some. The dots don't really look the same as they do on chicken eggs.

Enjoy your day off! It's supposed to get really warm today, in the 60's I believe. Not sure if that's the case in your neck of the woods but enjoy it anyway!
smile.png

Quote: YOu say it hold the temps except for " give or take a degree". The only time it should change degrees is after opening it up. If the temp is fluctuating, it won't hatch well. That is most likely your problem. The only other thing could be the nutrition of the hens. Do you give extra vitamins? Trying to figure it out.....

YOu say it hold the temps except for " give or take a degree". The only time it should change degrees is after opening it up. If the temp is fluctuating, it won't hatch well.  That is most likely your problem. The only other thing could be the nutrition of the hens. Do you give extra vitamins? Trying to figure it out.....

I don't give any of my birds anything extra other their feed, whatever they eat while free ranging and just recently bought a small bag of chicken scratch and cracked corn that I've thrown a handful to every other day. I think it's just the LG, it's not a great incubator. When I bought those polish/Silkie mix eggs from the guy in Ct I brought home 9. 5 went into the Brinsea and 4 went into the Lg. The ones in the Lg did nothing and the 5 in the Brinsea hatched like nothing I've ever seen before. My next test will be to test 7 Orp eggs in the Brinsea and see how they do in there. I just set the duck eggs. We'll see how those do.

Quote:
I gave them a free dozen. They really didn't seem all that bothered by it, I mean sometimes you even get store bought eggs have a blood spot or are less than perfect. Things happen...and I think you're right it could have gotten buried, my nest boxes have deep shavings and I've found buried eggs before and just tossed them. It could have been dug up.

Back
Top Bottom