NY chicken lover!!!!

Evening all.  Getting quite the storms here but the temps are dropping, thank goodness.  Dh made it home before me and gave everyone some frozen watermelon before it poured.  I was afraid of finding dead chickens cause it was soooooooo hot and humid.  Everyone was okay.  

Lynzi--congrats on the house!  I hope that they are open to chickens as well.  Good luck with all your packing!

Ke5shde--how is the other chick feathering out?  Still has the leakage or is it growing out?  Hilda keeping Junior in line?  Lol

Pyxis--good luck with all your hatching.  

Rancher--our only option was time warner for internet.  Hasnt been bad.  We stream netflix and stuff off our roku box cause nobody is home enough to warrent having tv service.  My home phone is magic jack so if the internet goes out, we read.  Suits me just fine.

Inventory tomorrow.  Not going to be a fun day.

I lost the other chick and a couple more. She hasn't been a good first time mom. On the up side I had 3 hatch from Hilda and got no partridge
263a.png
She was always throwing partridge chicks. Lots of little ones in the broody now. I've had 10 hatch over the last couple days.

They don't run any cable on our road so we are limited to how we can get it. I get ours through our phone (Frontier), but it isn't your normal dial up. It is very fast. Don't understand it all, but I like it. I know that there are satellite options, but not sure about those. This doesn't cost to much so it works for us.

The little chick that could is doing better with it's hobbles on all the time so hopefully it'll get better..The only problem is that I can feel a comb already...man I hope that it isn't a roo.

Still have 2 more chicks to hatch in the incubator...Day 22 today so hopefully today is the day. If nothing by tonight I'll have to check to see what is happening...

We never liked Time Warner, they're internet is awful here, constantly going in and out like a cell phone. We just expected it was because of where we were living out in the sticks. We have Direct TV, it costs a fortune but to him it's worth it. I don't watch much TV to care.

I knew the internet was slower than Verizon but didn't think it would be this bad. You'd expect the slowest speed to be faster than when computers first got started. 

Since DW is home all day we needed internet or she'd go crazy.  She doesn't go out much due to the treatments and risk of infections. 
You can upgrade your TW connection but it costs more. The package you have is probably the slower speed. I pay 140. And the internet speed is good but it's their fastest. I don't mind paying for the internet it's having to buy a package that basically has maybe 10 channels we watch. Dont need the over 200 that we have to buy.

Here's my take on pasty butt. I think it happens when the chick touches the shavings/ground with its butt while pooping. So some of it sticks to the butt. Then the next time it touches it again and then it has a build up of poop stuck and eventually blocks up its bottom. I believe that is the problem because people have a hundred reasons that they think causes it but it still happens in every situation. That us also why I think some adult chickens seem to have funky butts. If you watch than you will see that they squat too close or even touch the ground while pooping do some gets on those feathers. . As the feathers get more build up of poop it becomes a huge mess. Most chickens have feathered butts but most don't get poop build up cause they don't squat so low. Give me a chicken that shoots poop out without squatting!!!!
1f609.png

What I've learned about pasty buts : 1) my chicks raised by the hen don't get pasty butts
2) chicks I raise under a "sweeter heater " don't get pasty butts
3) chicks I raise under a heat lamp, sometimes get pasty butt

just my experiences
idunno.gif

Rancher--I agree with Gma and Pharm. I had Verizon and switched to TIme Warner for the same reason as you. We had problems with TIme Warner too. They replaced the modem and added an amplifier. It's working good now.

I
Here's my take on pasty butt. I think it happens when the chick touches the shavings/ground with its butt while pooping. So some of it sticks to the butt. Then the next time it touches it again and then it has a build up of poop stuck and eventually blocks up its bottom. I believe that is the problem because people have a hundred reasons that they think causes it but it still happens in every situation. That us also why I think some adult chickens seem to have funky butts. If you watch than you will see that they squat too close or even touch the ground while pooping do some gets on those feathers. . As the feathers get more build up of poop it becomes a huge mess. Most chickens have feathered butts but most don't get poop build up cause they don't squat so low. Give me a chicken that shoots poop out without squatting!!!!
1f609.png

What I've learned about pasty buts :   1)     my chicks raised by the hen don't get pasty butts
                                                               2)    chicks I raise under a "sweeter heater " don't get pasty butts
                                                               3)    chicks I raise under a heat lamp, sometimes get pasty butt

just my experiences    :idunno
have had chicks get it under a hen. So we all have our own experiences. That is why I think it's the butt dunking. But just my opinion.

Morning all.  The cooler weather has arrived thank goodness!  I have turned off the ac and opened every window in the house.  The cheeps were pounding on the doors to get out this morning.  They are liking the cooler air as well.  I let their food run out yesterday and they did a pretty good job of cleaning up all the food they had thrown all around their coops.  Of course this meant I had to fill everyones feeder this morning.  The terrorists were very vocal about the status of their feeder and continued to yell at me even after I had refilled the feeder and left.  Demanding bunch of needy divas.  

Rancher--I agree with gma.  Your internet should not be that slow.  They can do a remote test to see if its their equipment that is faulty.  I have had them do that when I have had problems with my internet.  Once they had to replace their modem and once they had to send a repair guy to fix something out on the pole.  You are paying for their services therefore they work for you.  Call them and complain.

Off to the pharm for inventory.  Have a good day everyone.

But rember the FCC signed net neutrality so all internet be same speed regardless of cost

DD has been showing birds for 3 years =).
We will definitely do the open class next year too.
If you want some extra help, I'd be more than willing to share. I was working on showmanship with the kids in the other county.

yeah we didn't learn anything until day before they gave a fast class on it. I wasn't too impressed with 4-h.

Well we took birds to amish yesterday and so I let the small coop with everyone else. I just got home to find my barred sizzle roo in the small pool. He was standing in it but barely. The wife blow dried him and holding him hoping he makes it. we have been gone all day and not sure how long he's been in there.

As for time warner I love it where I'm at. There is no dsl out here. Our phone line wont even work when it rains because the little tower box in yard is leaning over and they say we have to pay to fix it if we want the line to work so we went with TW. Now there is a trick to TW and other cable companies. When your time is about up tell them your going to cancel when the price is going to go up. They will ether renew it at same price or find another package within $5.00. We have been with them for 4-5 years and each year we do this. We started out with basic phone/net/cable for the $79.99-$89.99 I think it was at the time cant remember price. But the next year they wanted to raise it so we called and had locked in again at same price. The end of second year they wanted to up it again so we told them to cancel it. About 2 weeks later I get a call asking if I would meet a rep. He came over and for the same price we got a dvr better net and another box. This year they tried to raise it again to like $120. So once again we called and got locked in for a lower price. For $93.00 we have 2 boxes one is a dvr, Net, phone and we now have stars package which we didn't have stars before.

Back
Top Bottom