NY chicken lover!!!!

Hiya All! I am new to chicken raising, and in the process of building my coop. I am located in Ellery, NY, near jamestown. I am looking to get my hands on 5 or so females cheap, and want to start at egg laying age, and perhaps get a rooster for my kids to use in 4H, and to fertilize me a few eggs to get me a good meat supply too. Any thoughts/advice is appreciated... and anyone near here that has a few to part with cheap, please let me know!

Thanks,

Kenny

Hmmm... This is the time of year to do your research. Chickens are winding down their laying for the year and most will have all but stopped for the winter by the end of October/early November. The days are too short to stimulate the hormones to lay. Yes, some breeds will lay all year, but few people want to part with birds from those breeds....they need the eggs for themselves to get through the winter til the rest of the flock starts laying in March/April.

And kids and a rooster? Not so sure about that one. If you haven't raised the rooster from a chick it might be tricky for a child to be able to handle him. And he will have to be caught, cleaned and caged if you are going to show him for 4-H.

First get your coop completed. Then research what breeds you want. Then see if someone is downsizing their flock for winter (cuz who wants to feed extra birds for zero return?) and can help you with your hens. That whole rooster thing I'm not so sure about....raise your 4-H bird from a chick....or show a nice hen.

Hmmm... This is the time of year to do your research. Chickens are winding down their laying for the year and most will have all but stopped for the winter by the end of October/early November. The days are too short to stimulate the hormones to lay. Yes, some breeds will lay all year, but few people want to part with birds from those breeds....they need the eggs for themselves to get through the winter til the rest of the flock starts laying in March/April.

And kids and a rooster? Not so sure about that one. If you haven't raised the rooster from a chick it might be tricky for a child to be able to handle him. And he will have to be caught, cleaned and caged if you are going to show him for 4-H.

First get your coop completed. Then research what breeds you want. Then see if someone is downsizing their flock for winter (cuz who wants to feed extra birds for zero return?) and can help you with your hens. That whole rooster thing I'm not so sure about....raise your 4-H bird from a chick....or show a nice hen.

Cass this is great advice! We have the roo, Fredo, and he's ok with us, but he's extremely protective of his hens, and he was raised from the egg! He was supposed to be a gentle breed, Silkie Cochin cross but if he gets anxious, he puffs himself out and tries to look fierce. He's like a ferocious Chihuahua with a beak!

It seems that once the roo starts fertilizing eggs he gets more protective and antsy.

i agree 100%..the best thing navyit35 could do is research.. now is a great time to read as much as possible and find the right birds for your needs...you'll want to know things like how much space is needed in your coop for the amount of birds you want ..in my opinion the best 4-h birds for kids are ones they have raised from chicks ..i am not sure you'll find hens that are laying for cheap either..once folks put all the money and time into raising them to the age when they start laying , the prices goes up ..also if kids plan on handling them then they should start when the chickens are still babys ..so the birds are used to them and the kids are at ease when handling them ..i have friends who show at the fair and her daughter wont handle roo's anymore because shes scared..and shes 13 yrs old ..it only takes a kid one good bite for them to lose intrest in roo's..lol

I have some straight run chicks that are just feathering out - if you want a hardy mixed breed let me know via a private message here .... The were the last to hatch and are about a month old now .... this would still be a decent age to handle if one turns out to be a roo ... but straight run means I have no idea what sex they are - and you could end up with 2 roos .... or whatever ..... They are at an age when it is all guess work as to if they will be a hen or roo ....

However, like is said before - if you wanted to buy one of my hens at this time of year - I would be charging $40 per hen ! because I put all the time and feed and care into it for over 6 months ....

There are so many fun breeds out there .... don't let the timing of your wanting chickens to cool your fun !! They are loads of entertainment as well as a source of eggs and meat .... So keep asking us questions.

Hey Cass! You're pencil concept works great! That sneaky hen put another "fresh" egg under her today. It was quickly found and taken out for breakfast!!!! YUM! :)

Hiya All! I am new to chicken raising, and in the process of building my coop. I am located in Ellery, NY, near jamestown. I am looking to get my hands on 5 or so females cheap, and want to start at egg laying age, and perhaps get a rooster for my kids to use in 4H, and to fertilize me a few eggs to get me a good meat supply too. Any thoughts/advice is appreciated... and anyone near here that has a few to part with cheap, please let me know!

Thanks,

Kenny
Welcome to the coop. Where are you located. Near the water I suppose.
lol.png

"blue navy , blue, I'm as blue I as I can be".

Last edited:
CHECK THE DATES ON YOUR FEED.

So this is what inspired this post.

Country Max had feed $2 off. Nutrena Feather Fixer

I called the store nearest to me and asked them to hold 4 bags. The girl said they had 8. I shop there a lot was told okay she'd tell the manager.

When I went to pick it up, He said "I only have 3. One didn't feel right, it was moldy. I cut this one open to check it and it's fine. "

He showed me the tags on the other two bags were for 2014 but this cut and taped bag had a code. I checked the code on line and found it was made in Aug, of 2013! More than a year ago!

I have gotten feed with mold in the bottom of the bag before and told the clerk there about it.

You should find a date on the tag at the bottom. I trusted these people. They apparently are not trustworthy.

So be aware that YOU must check the date and don't trust the store to do it for you. I will NOT be shopping there for my feed again.

A hawk was swooping near the back of the fenced area a few minutes ago...I ran out yelling Hey get out of here!!! which made my husband come running out yelling What's the matter!!!! The hawk flew away, there have to be easier prey where there are no loud crazy humans. Afterward there were two of my supposed baby hens walking around with long fluffed out necks and tall tails...it could be out of those five babies 4 are Roos. We shall see.

Hey Cass! You're pencil concept works great! That sneaky hen put another "fresh" egg under her today. It was quickly found and taken out for breakfast!!!! YUM! :)
This is the hen game ..I want to lay in the box everyone else does...coz I am a copy cat / chicken
Also she could be still laying also ..if she is truely broody ..she wouldnt be ..only the other hen would be
A hawk was swooping near the back of the fenced area a few minutes ago...I ran out yelling Hey get out of here!!! which made my husband come running out yelling What's the matter!!!! The hawk flew away, there have to be easier prey where there are no loud crazy humans. Afterward there were two of my supposed baby hens walking around with long fluffed out necks and tall tails...it could be out of those five babies 4 are Roos. We shall see.

owww those are high odds .4/5 ..lets hope it is not true

Last edited:
The birds here all took cover but I didn't see anything. All the Dels and Rocks were inside the coop. I didn't count heads and did see lots of feathers in the run but not enough to warrant and attack. Plus no body.

Now for some reason since I've take Cotton bud out of the EE , rock coop an EE hen have been getting beat up. lots of feathers in the corner.

I took Cotton bud out czu she's bald from getting picked on. I moved Short cuz the EE roo was beating him up. What is going on?

I move them every night to the half hoop with some young ones in there but they keep going into the wooden coop at night. Now though it's in with the Dels and Rocks since I've been letting them out into the yard.

The EE Rocks are kept in the run now. That's when I noticed the pile of feathers in the corner and the EE hen being beaten up.

Does any of this make sense?

Back
Top Bottom