NY chicken lover!!!!

Exciting news is my coop! We had our very first egg yesterday 9/20/2014. It wasn't there in the morning when I went to let them out but it was there in the afternoon. That got me thinking.....what time do your chickens lay their eggs and when do you find its best to collect them?
I am hoping to find another this afternoon and that the rest of my chickens also start laying soon. The ladies need to start earning their keep =)

I have to have the the world's latest laying flock in the world. The ducks lay before I let them out at 7:30 am....the chickens? One lays around noon, the rest lay AFTER 2 pm....one has been known to lay after I close the coop at night. (after 7 pm, cuz if I close it late it is there at 9 or so. Pm, that is) (and no, I am not missing it earlier in the day, they all lay in the nest boxes except for one that lays in the middle of the coop and I find that when I get home from work, about 3 times a week)

I have the world's weirdest flock. I have ducks that fly up to the top of the 18 foot coop. I have guinea fowl that follow a CHICKEN around the yard. A rooster that doesn't crow. And broody germs that they spread around until 1/2 the flock is staying in nest boxes on GOLF BALLS.

None right now, they've been going in the fridge. I'll collect what I can until Friday. I'll be gone on the weekend.
Cool thanks. I'll give her a few duck eggs to tide her over and keep her happy then add in your eggs at day 7 so they all hatch out at the same time! I just hope that she will sit the whole time. First time broody.

Anyone have a few Blue or green eggs that they want to part with?

I have to have the the world's latest laying flock in the world. The ducks lay before I let them out at 7:30 am....the chickens? One lays around noon, the rest lay AFTER 2 pm....one has been known to lay after I close the coop at night. (after 7 pm, cuz if I close it late it is there at 9 or so. Pm, that is) (and no, I am not missing it earlier in the day, they all lay in the nest boxes except for one that lays in the middle of the coop and I find that when I get home from work, about 3 times a week)

I have the world's weirdest flock. I have ducks that fly up to the top of the 18 foot coop. I have guinea fowl that follow a CHICKEN around the yard. A rooster that doesn't crow. And broody germs that they spread around until 1/2 the flock is staying in nest boxes on GOLF BALLS.

Mine aren't far behind yours!! Someone lays in the morning, then there's all sorts of complaints 'cos there's an egg in the nest (!)
roll.png
....I remove the egg, they walk away....then there are a couple more later in the day....no-one wants the boxes currently, they would rather lay at the foot of the roost on the floor
idunno.gif
and there's always one before I shut them in for the night. I swear they do it to torture me! I did Fall muck out today, Deirdre was wandering around with her legs crossed, complaining about the housekeeper. When all was finished, she didn't even bother to lay an egg - ungrateful biddy!
hmm.png

My leghorn lays super early - so I snag her egg as I let them all out - I know it is early because mamma chickie and 6 babies sleep in the nest box and I check it at night before they settle in - so the leghorn must hop up there as soon as they awake. probably at 5 in the morning.

then I get a few more eggs throughout the day and one Marans egg super late in the evening - about an hour before coop closing time.

So all over the place too.

Cool thanks. I'll give her a few duck eggs to tide her over and keep her happy then add in your eggs at day 7 so they all hatch out at the same time! I just hope that she will sit the whole time. First time broody.

Anyone have a few Blue or green eggs that they want to part with?

Stop over Friday after 4 and I'll give you what I have. Just put 1 in the turner.

I found egg number 2 this afternoon but this time not in a nesting box but rather in the furthest corner from the coop door. I actually could not even see it when I opened the door but thought I would climb in and check anyhow because it looked like someone dug a hole in the straw. Sure enough there was an egg in the "nest". The chickies have been getting lots of kitchen scraps so they are as happy as can be. I am still scared of getting pecked but I think I am getting better. The girls are curious and like to peck at my shiny wedding band.

I found egg number 2 this afternoon but this time not in a nesting box but rather in the furthest corner from the coop door. I actually could not even see it when I opened the door but thought I would climb in and check anyhow because it looked like someone dug a hole in the straw. Sure enough there was an egg in the "nest". The chickies have been getting lots of kitchen scraps so they are as happy as can be. I am still scared of getting pecked but I think I am getting better. The girls are curious and like to peck at my shiny wedding band.

Buttons! Mine love buttons - if I wear my old barn jacket they peck at the buttons - why?
idunno.gif
When they peck at your hand they usually are fairly gentle. I had to trim the beak of blind Henrietta yesterday, she doesn't go outside much to peck/scratch and her beak was certainly getting my attention!. She tolerated it well and it's much easier feeding her by hand now,
smile.png

Exciting news is my coop! We had our very first egg yesterday 9/20/2014. It wasn't there in the morning when I went to let them out but it was there in the afternoon. That got me thinking.....what time do your chickens lay their eggs and when do you find its best to collect them?
I am hoping to find another this afternoon and that the rest of my chickens also start laying soon. The ladies need to start earning their keep =)
i pick up eggs all threw the day ..right up to dark..

Your the best! :hugs  I'll be there... They are the ones in with the ducks right? Let me know what you want for them.

Those are the ones. Splash cockerel over blue pullets. I don't want anything for them. I don't have any plans to hatch from them this year. I'm all done AI'ing the bantams for the year so I'm done hatching them too. The incubator should finally shut off in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom