NY chicken lover!!!!

No light here ...my roo is slowly loosing tail feathers too ...

All my older girls look like they had a fight with the chicken plucker.............
hmm.png

JUST A QUICK MENTION. If you feed your birds sunflower seeds on the stem and you buy them be sure they're not sprayed with anything. DO NOT us e flowers for plants bought at commercial florists or unknown places in your compost. If you buy at a farmers market ask is anything was sprayed on the plants.

Folks have been bringing DW sunflowers. I just toss them in the garbage.

Unless of course you've grown them yourself and know.

I wish you well,

Rancher

Some my kids are molting too. I open up the coop each morning and it looks like someone opened a feather pillow. One hen came out this morning and shook. There was a giant plume of feathers she left behind.

My Scarlet is doing much better. I put her out during the day, but I'm still bringing her inside at night for now. I give her some fermented food, and some other goodies to help try to get some weight back on her. Her breastbone feels like a carcase from Thanksgiving (only smaller). I think that she really likes it. At night she waits by the door. I know it is just cause she has been inside for so long that she knows she needs to come roost here. I pretend that she is waiting for me. She doesn't mid when I pick her up. I keep the crate on the washer at night and I can set her down on the washer and she walks right in. Then starts talking to me as if she is saying where is my food.

Been busy added the wood chips to the run. It isn't going to take me as long as I thought that it would to fill the run. It is going fast, now if I could find a few hours together that I could do it then things would be done my now, but it has been my DD's birthday and DH is sick so they keep me busy.

My silver laced cochin is broody. Not sure if I want to give her some eggs or just keep tossing her out. I thought about giving her some duck eggs, but with this being her first time I doubt that she will sit that long, but you never know. I could use some more LF. Most of my girls are getting a little older so I need to have the next generation ready to go. I know hens are slowing down, but does anyone have any LF fertile eggs available?

Some my kids are molting too. I open up the coop each morning and it looks like someone opened a feather pillow. One hen came out this morning and shook. There was a giant plume of feathers she left behind.

My Scarlet is doing much better. I put her out during the day, but I'm still bringing her inside at night for now. I give her some fermented food, and some other goodies to help try to get some weight back on her. Her breastbone feels like a carcase from Thanksgiving (only smaller). I think that she really likes it. At night she waits by the door. I know it is just cause she has been inside for so long that she knows she needs to come roost here. I pretend that she is waiting for me. She doesn't mid when I pick her up. I keep the crate on the washer at night and I can set her down on the washer and she walks right in. Then starts talking to me as if she is saying where is my food.

Been busy added the wood chips to the run. It isn't going to take me as long as I thought that it would to fill the run. It is going fast, now if I could find a few hours together that I could do it then things would be done my now, but it has been my DD's birthday and DH is sick so they keep me busy.

My silver laced cochin is broody. Not sure if I want to give her some eggs or just keep tossing her out. I thought about giving her some duck eggs, but with this being her first time I doubt that she will sit that long, but you never know. I could use some more LF. Most of my girls are getting a little older so I need to have the next generation ready to go. I know hens are slowing down, but does anyone have any LF fertile eggs available?
One thing you can do if you use chippys in your coop is transfer them to the run where the chickens can rework them even more. By the time you transfer them to the compost they're nearly half done breaking down.
wink.png

I think I may start saving my feed bags and seeing if I can't get a couple bucks for the crud.

One thing you can do if you use chippys in your coop is transfer them to the run where the chickens can rework them even more. By the time you transfer them to the compost they're nearly half done breaking down.
wink.png

I think I may start saving my feed bags and seeing if I can't get a couple bucks for the crud.
I wan't planing on using them in my coops, but I may end up doing so for winter to give it a good base. In the winter I use deep litter so I may just put that in the bottom of the coops and the duck hut before I add in the shavings and the straw. Right now I just finished spreading the chips all over the ground in the run. I barley put a dent in the pile. So next project is the dog yard by the door. They like to track in mud and the chips will cut down on it. I thought about bagging some of it for winter, but I don't know how to dry that much out without spreading it all over the yard. It is already starting to compost in the middle. As I dug in to it it is hot and steamy.

I wan't planing on using them in my coops, but I may end up doing so for winter to give it a good base. In the winter I use deep litter so I may just put that in the bottom of the coops and the duck hut before I add in the shavings and the straw. Right now I just finished spreading the chips all over the ground in the run. I barley put a dent in the pile. So next project is the dog yard by the door. They like to track in mud and the chips will cut down on it. I thought about bagging some of it for winter, but I don't know how to dry that much out without spreading it all over the yard. It is already starting to compost in the middle. As I dug in to it it is hot and steamy.
I would love a pile to use to make paths into the woods. They're good for mulching walk ways that don't need to looks formal.

Back
Top Bottom