NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote: They get the "molt" signal long before we think about lights. Mine have been molting since August. And the night is now 2 hours earlier, so they know...can't fool mother nature! LOL
I turned on my lights mid August, and they are just now starting to lay more. It takes them around 3 weeks to get back into laying. At least mine do. My Wyandottes were the poorest layers I had. They took the longest to get going, and the first to stop. 15 hours is enough. That is what I shoot for.

but i run alight so they shouldnt be molting ..it comes on at 4 AM every morning ..in fact i just turned it back to 4 the other day from 5 ..maybe i need to set it back further..it does get dark alot earlyer ..if its sun down at 7 , thats 15 hrs of light..should it be more ..i have a bunch of wyandottes that havent started to lay yet .i wounder if thats why ..thanks i guess i have more reading to do ..

It doesn't matter if you run a light, chickens molt.

Hi everyone :)

My roo is molting. He has been dropping tail feathers for weeks, and finally he started to look like a really big hen. Then he lost his beautiful neck feathers and he looked like a huge naked neck hen. I haven't seen him mating and think his appearance has affected his confidence. His crowing is diminished too, poor boy.

My roo is molting. He has been dropping tail feathers for weeks, and finally he started to look like a really big hen. Then he lost his beautiful neck feathers and he looked like a huge naked neck hen. I haven't seen him mating and think his appearance has affected his confidence. His crowing is diminished too, poor boy.

It hasn't been too bad this year. Most of the cochins are finishing up or haven't even started. Hopefully the 4 I'm showing next week wait until AFTER the show
263a.png

For anyone interested, the show is in Cobleskill next Sunday the 28th. Outside sales are welcome, just pay the fee.

http://www.enyspassc.com/fallshow.php

ha ha I'm always in a hurry when I use blue kote on my horses so I have stained hands for days !

Mr. Millie is walking around .... and rushing with the whole flock to their dinner tossed over the ground ... very odd as he was FLAT on his little back - like an upside down beetle and an alarming leg jerk thrown in here and there for good measure. Humph.

Attention seeking behavior at it's finest!!
lol.png

Boskelli - ha ha could be eh? Since he is still running about today just fine. I swear there was twitching there ... I thought it was the end - so gave a nice little bed of hay and some solitude .... little faker !
tongue.gif

Just a request,

If anyone here gets coupons for Nutrena feeds and doesn't need them I could use them. DW is still not working and money's tight so I could use them if you're not. It will be a while before she returns to work.

I'd hate to downsize only to have to start up again when she gets better.

If you're not signed up for their newsletter or get the coupons but still don't use their feed perhaps you could and donate the coupons to us poor people.
wink.png

TSC has started to carry their brand.

Thanks,

Rancher

Well out of 6 chicks I hatched this summer I've finally decided who to part with now that they are 9wks old. I'm praying my Smooth Blue Sizzle is a hen so I can breed her back to my Sizzle roo and get better splash markings than I have now. I have a Splash roo over 2 splash hens and only 1 blue hen who is broody so a majority of chicks will look white when they hatch out until I get eggs from the blue hen or the blue sizzle is old enough to lay. However, this next hatch I have going is from both the silkies and polish mixes. One of the Polish mixes is light blue so I can't wait to see what those eggs turn out to be. Should be interesting. But I have a trio of Splash sizzles for sale, 1 frizzled sizzle, 1 smooth and a frizzled sizzle. They're so cute but I'm keeping 3 and I have a feeling I'll be keeping more from these hatch of 14 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom