NY chicken lover!!!!

I need to get on here and vent now that I'm on the computer and can type faster. Let me just start by saying that when I say "I miss NY and all the friends I've made up there" I don't think you really understand just how much I really miss NY and all of you folks.

I don't know if I'm just having bad luck, I'm doing something wrong, or what...but I swear, chicken people in New England (or at least the few I've contacted that are in CT & MA) are no where NEAR as friendly as those in NY. I have met some really stuck up, rude, and just flat out unfriendly people since moving here and it's really starting to discourage me from doing anything more (like showing) with chickens. A friend (A new friend I met here in CT thru chickens who is actually NORMAL!) and I went to the Little Rhody Poultry Show yesterday and my gosh, you would think some of those people were being held there against their will! Could care less to answer your questions, it would be shocking if they even gave you the time of day. One woman that I've been going back and forth thru emails with has been giving me the run around for weeks now - weeks! Just to basically tell me that her birds are sold at shows and she will not set any aside for me. Even though I kept telling her over and over that I am interested in purchasing 2 birds from her and would meet her at ANY of the upcoming shows. She told me every show I wasn't going to and when I told her the two or three I was going to I find out she's there and could have cared less to tell me! WTH?!? I am reaching out to you in hopes to find some birds and you can't commit to ME? I've heard the purchaser not committing but the seller?!?! I don't get it. Then my friend and I find out that few ladies we questioned about having birds who just replied to us with "no" when we asked if they had any, DON'T want to sell birds at all. Ummmm OK. So why can't you respond with "I'm sorry I don't sell birds". Is that so difficult???

These people are so short with you, can care less to associate with you or any other people there for that matter. They stick to themselves like they are just on top of the world. I'm sorry but when I go to show I like to meet as many breeders as possible, especially those who might be able to help in the future if I'm ever looking for something. I love the information I gain by talking to them and I just plain like talking chickens! Isn't that what's fun about going to a show?? I just don't know what to do because I really wanted to show next year but I don't want to associate with these people at all nor would I ever want to be around them. Maybe I'll just hike it up to NY and attend those shows. Ugh - Rant over.

Meanwhile, my friend has found the birds she was looking for, and I am so happy for her. I put her in touch with one of my out of state friends I got birds from and she will be getting 2 shipped to her next week. She is so excited.

That's New England for ya. Not overly friendly AT ALL. (It's genetic, I think)

Some of us are close to you, even though we are across the border into NY. Smile.

I missed the show yesterday. I have been off line for a couple weeks...

Rancher- hope you are feeling better...

Lynzi777- Bummer that noone is as friendly.

We down sized our flock and sent them to freezer camp 2 wks ago. 12 layers, 3 roos, and 1 drake.

Then last week our lab puppy (9months old) decided to partake in eating some mushrooms growing in our yard (Amenita Muscaria) which are poisonous. They cause delirium, and can cause liver damage. We caught it in time but had to take to her to vet to induce vomiting, push IV fluids, and an overnight stay. UGH!

Now we are having a predator issue maybe a weasel?! Yesterday 2 chicks had their heads taken off and a 20 wk old pullet was dragged out of coop and had a puncture wound in her neck. This was during the day. Then again today I kept them penned in a kennel type run and another chick was in the coop with her head missing. Is this because I downsized? Why now? I haven't had any predators since moving here in June. I am borrowing some live animal traps from a friend tomorrow. One small and one raccoon size. What do I use for bait?

A weasel killed almost every chicken in my fathers flock whithen a couple nights, like twenty+ of them, just bit off the heads. Even his extremly mean and protective rir roo. It took a rat trap with bloody meat bait to get him. It was covered in fleas, my dad said he thinks it went nuts. Good luck.

Sorry I haven't been on much - went and got my cat irradiated for his thyroid, had to replace a bunch of high $$ crap at the house (septic, well, furnace - ouch!)..

The hawks have been brutal here this year - they got my tiny little hen from CB the other day and within 10 minutes of my deciding to give them a little 'out' time they almost got my little araucana BB. She ran for the electric fence and and got stuck. I was able to free her and lock everyone else up under netting, and that's where they stay except for maybe an hour before roosting when I'm out there. /sigh. The hawks were just perched all around our yard, as bold as can be. Seems like they are worse on cloudy days, oddly enough.

Sorry about your little hen, Featherz. The leaves are really coming down, and my yard is opening up. I was just thinking about hawks today when I let my little flock out. I hope your kitty is OK.

Its Food Time ...this is the view up ...when Im down cellar getting food

A Waiting ...Welcoming Committee

I love the relationship you have with your birds, Gramma -- these pics are cute! Did they offer to help carry the food up for you?

Morning All!
Thanks for sending the cold weather to CT! ;-) Brisk 27 degrees here this morning. Yesterday it was beautiful out, 50's? Talked to my friend yesterday who lives up in the mountains in Tully and she told me it was snowing up there yesterday morning! Crazy

We had snow flurries here in Otisco on Sunday morning!

I'd also like to send out a prayer request for my SIL and DD. They've issues that need to be worked out. Also pray he gets lots of work. (he does construction) They've been a big help to u$ in our tragical situation. I thank the Lord for them a hundred times. I've hired him in the past and he is a great worker.

Rancher

I hope things get better all across the board, Rancher. Just keep praying and thinking positive! Sending prayers and positive thoughts... Hope your cold hits the road soon!

I need to get on here and vent now that I'm on the computer and can type faster. Let me just start by saying that when I say "I miss NY and all the friends I've made up there" I don't think you really understand just how much I really miss NY and all of you folks.

I don't know if I'm just having bad luck, I'm doing something wrong, or what...but I swear, chicken people in New England (or at least the few I've contacted that are in CT & MA) are no where NEAR as friendly as those in NY. I have met some really stuck up, rude, and just flat out unfriendly people since moving here and it's really starting to discourage me from doing anything more (like showing) with chickens. A friend (A new friend I met here in CT thru chickens who is actually NORMAL!) and I went to the Little Rhody Poultry Show yesterday and my gosh, you would think some of those people were being held there against their will! Could care less to answer your questions, it would be shocking if they even gave you the time of day. One woman that I've been going back and forth thru emails with has been giving me the run around for weeks now - weeks! Just to basically tell me that her birds are sold at shows and she will not set any aside for me. Even though I kept telling her over and over that I am interested in purchasing 2 birds from her and would meet her at ANY of the upcoming shows. She told me every show I wasn't going to and when I told her the two or three I was going to I find out she's there and could have cared less to tell me! WTH?!? I am reaching out to you in hopes to find some birds and you can't commit to ME? I've heard the purchaser not committing but the seller?!?! I don't get it. Then my friend and I find out that few ladies we questioned about having birds who just replied to us with "no" when we asked if they had any, DON'T want to sell birds at all. Ummmm OK. So why can't you respond with "I'm sorry I don't sell birds". Is that so difficult???

These people are so short with you, can care less to associate with you or any other people there for that matter. They stick to themselves like they are just on top of the world. I'm sorry but when I go to show I like to meet as many breeders as possible, especially those who might be able to help in the future if I'm ever looking for something. I love the information I gain by talking to them and I just plain like talking chickens! Isn't that what's fun about going to a show?? I just don't know what to do because I really wanted to show next year but I don't want to associate with these people at all nor would I ever want to be around them. Maybe I'll just hike it up to NY and attend those shows. Ugh - Rant over.

Meanwhile, my friend has found the birds she was looking for, and I am so happy for her. I put her in touch with one of my out of state friends I got birds from and she will be getting 2 shipped to her next week. She is so excited.

I hate snobs. I have no use for them and my theory is that they don't even like themselves. The advice you've received from Rancher is good, I'd say: don't let them stop you from doing what you enjoy. You don't need them or their approval.

Then last week our lab puppy (9months old) decided to partake in eating some mushrooms growing in our yard (Amenita Muscaria) which are poisonous. They cause delirium, and can cause liver damage. We caught it in time but had to take to her to vet to induce vomiting, push IV fluids, and an overnight stay. UGH!

Now we are having a predator issue maybe a weasel?! Yesterday 2 chicks had their heads taken off and a 20 wk old pullet was dragged out of coop and had a puncture wound in her neck. This was during the day. Then again today I kept them penned in a kennel type run and another chick was in the coop with her head missing. Is this because I downsized? Why now? I haven't had any predators since moving here in June. I am borrowing some live animal traps from a friend tomorrow. One small and one raccoon size. What do I use for bait?

Ugh, how scary about the mushroom...so sorry! Is your puppy better? I worry about that with my young dog; we have so many mushrooms on our acreage. Yikes!

Also, sorry about your killed chicks -- and good luck getting the culprit. I think this time of year finds predators instinctively stepping it up to increase their fat stores for winter...but most things that would eat your chickens are opportunistic, and they don't wait for season changes. Check for the tiniest of openings where they can get in? Anything dug up around your coop or pen?

TOB

I don't know if I'm just having bad luck, I'm doing something wrong, or what...but I swear, chicken people in New England (or at least the few I've contacted that are in CT & MA) are no where NEAR as friendly as those in NY. I have met some really stuck up, rude, and just flat out unfriendly people since moving here and it's really starting to discourage me from doing anything more (like showing) with chickens. A friend (A new friend I met here in CT thru chickens who is actually NORMAL!) and I went to the Little Rhody Poultry Show yesterday and my gosh, you would think some of those people were being held there against their will! Could care less to answer your questions, it would be shocking if they even gave you the time of day. One woman that I've been going back and forth thru emails with has been giving me the run around for weeks now - weeks! Just  to basically tell me that her birds are sold at shows and she will not set any aside for me. Even though I kept telling her over and over that I am interested in purchasing 2 birds from her and would meet her at ANY of the upcoming shows. She told me every show I wasn't going to and when I told her the two or three I was going to I find out she's there and could have cared less to tell me! WTH?!? I am reaching out to you in hopes to find some birds and you can't commit to ME? I've heard the purchaser not committing but the seller?!?! I don't get it. Then my friend and I find out that few ladies we questioned about having birds who just replied to us with "no" when we asked if they had any, DON'T want to sell birds at all. Ummmm OK. So why can't you respond with "I'm sorry I don't sell birds". Is that so difficult???

Lynzi, sorry to hear about ur experience. I grew up in CT & had the opposite experience, was blown away when I moved out this way by how friendly people are here. There are good people in CT, just have to find them. The Parrot Club, cafabirdclub.org is a wonderful group of bird people. More parrots than chickens, but good people. I was a member for over 10 yrs. They meet in East Hartford. Also, if u ever need a vet, Dr. Ann Burke is amazing. She's avian certified & has/loves her own flock of chickens. I think she's in Ashford. Moving is so tough. So much that we take for granted until we're in another state & everything is different. You will find the good people u need. Ignore the snottiness, it's just a front. There are good people everywhere.

[COLOR=FF0000]I hate snobs.  I have no use for them and my theory is that they don't even like themselves.  The advice you've received from Rancher is good, I'd say:  don't let them stop you from doing what you enjoy.  You don't need them or their approval.  [/COLOR]

TOB, ur right. Snobs are just as critical of themselves. Don't let their dumb game get in ur way.

Quote: Sorry you lost your littles to a hawk ..do you have a Roo ?
My roos usually see them before I do ..We all Growl ...
If they are brave enough to perch in my yard I go right up to the tree yelling ..i will pick up a branch or stick & throw it at them ..Let them know they are not welcome here .
I have started putting wind chimes in the trees to deter them ...

Last edited:
I missed the show yesterday. I have been off line for a couple weeks...

Rancher- hope you are feeling better...

Lynzi777- Bummer that noone is as friendly.

We down sized our flock and sent them to freezer camp 2 wks ago. 12 layers, 3 roos, and 1 drake.

So Sorry ...Maybe the babies were more protected with all the other chickens
Bait it with the dead chicken

Last edited:
TOB our puppy is back to her hyper self. We check our fenced in yard for mushrooms now and pick them before she can eat.

No holes under co-op but the run is a chain link. We just moved so this is temporary until we can move our co-op from our old property up here. We are using an old dog kennel area in the barn for roosting and nesting with an outside door to partitioned dog kennel run outside. We close the door at night so it is critter proof but they are getting them in the day probably coming through chain link.

I am keeping them locked in kennel coop in barn for next few days with light on during day hours since there is no window.

I will bait traps with the chicken that he killed. It doesn't matter that there is no head?

How come they just take the head? There is no meat on it. They leave the meat behind. Weird weasels.

Grammachick oh chimes in the trees is a good idea for the hawks! I will start scouring garage sales for chimes.

Back
Top Bottom