NY chicken lover!!!!

So, i have a bully rooster chick...4 days old. And He is seriously a problem. I think two of the chicks have an eye injury because of this guy. What can I do? right now he has his very own box because each time I put him in with chickens he goes right for the eyes...then the head and litterally grabs on and pulls them by the head hair. I have never run into this at all before. Granted they just got shipped to me but I pulled him out yesterday and tried putting him back in 3 times. then I put him in with my 3 week olds and he went after this large chick and grabbed it by the head hair and started dragging it across the brooder...

I am literally going to wring his neck...what the heck can I do?

Come on spring! It's supposed to warm up just enough next week to snow another
6" on top of the 15" we already have.

Afternoon all. Brutally cold this morning with the wind chills but everyone piled out anyways. I swear my reds are indestructable. They have been out all day so far and are preening in the sun despite the wind. Walking around like its nothing. My silkies have plastic up on their runs to break the wind so they are fine with being out. Just finished another water run. Everyone was hoping for a handout of goodies as they all came running when they saw me and then complained when I left without giving them goodies. Spoiled rotten they are.

Purpletie--I would cull that chick right now. If you arent going to use him (you say its a him) and this behaviour is already going on, I would just cull him. No need to keep mean roosters, ever. I have eaten all of mine and then some. Meanness is a trait that is passed on, whether from the hen or rooster. I cull that trait. I have two large heritage breed rir roos who are not pets but not mean either. They have never challenged me or dh and allow us to handle them without fuss when we need to. Ive had mean roos, bear the scars to prove it and dispatched every last one of them. Just my opinion, but better to cull now than pay the price later.

Beercan--I hear you about the snow. Running our of room here to put it or blow it.

I hope everyone makes it through this ice age with no losses. So far so good here. My birds are pretty hardy and I think the poultry cell is helping. Later all.

Almost forgot...Rancher---what were the names of those childrens chicken books you liked? I want to get them for the little guy next door. Im training him to be a future backyard chicken man! lol

Yeah I'm surprised my gl polish seams to be doing fine still, I have two brownleghorns with floppy combs, while they look cold, no frostbite. My
wellie roo has just a touch of frost bite on a couple tips of his comb, no big deal.

I've just joined BYC and my new member intro is https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/952480/new-member
Located east of Lake Ontario about 40 miles north of Syracuse. Keep chickens mostly for eggs, interested in sustainability-- breeding our own chicks and feeding as much as possible from what we can grow. Like to hear what others are doing who have similar goals and are in a similar environment.

Bummer of a day.

Of course I had to snow blow twice, but when I went out to close everyone up, I found my Birchen rooster dead. Not sure what happened. He was find today and still warm when I found him. He would be about four. Seemed just fine. Had some crooked toes but a nice guy. I have his son who I will now put in with the girls. I have some of his eggs in the incu. I hope some of them hatch.

He was just laying there in the doorway with his head laying over the threshold. No ones been sick in the coop. It never gets easy.

Even if I did a necropsy I wouldn't know what I was looking for.

Sorry to hear this Rancher...sounds like the unexpected death of my beautiful Chumley in the fall. It's especially tough when you're not expecting it and have no real explanation as to why your bird died. I hope your roo's son is as nice a bird as he was.

TOB

Ordered my incubator the other day
yesss.gif
. After much discussion with DH we/he decided that I should just get the Brisnea Mini.........

I don't know about anyone else, but I am soooooooooooooooooooooo OVER this winter. It is sooooooooooooooooooooo cold out.......

COME ON SPRING!
love.gif
WE MISS YOU COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bun.gif
yippiechickie.gif
The Native Americans had their rain dance to bring on the rain. Maybe if we all coordinate it at the same time and all do a Spring dance maybe spring will get here sooner...
fl.gif

....Oh and can someone take a hit out on that groundhog!
rant.gif
lau.gif

I'm so with you on this Luv!!! I really start getting that cranky cabin fever around the begining-middle of February, so I'm right on schedule with that. Snow is a bit much, and you're right: getting tough to find places for it. But it's the ridiculous frigid cold that is driving me nuts. If it's just a day or two, then it's not so big of a deal. But when you see the extended forecast and these below zero temps linger on and on.....well then, I go a bit mental.
he.gif

I hate it so much, mostly because I worry about my assorted critters, hens most of all, as they don't get a nice blanket like my horse. I've been offering some extra scratch, especially late day, and building up the shavings for whatever it's worth. So far, my girls are doing fine. They are toughies, and I really respect and admire their ability to withstand these bitter cold days and especially nights. When I check on them, there they are, looking great and talking up a storm.
love.gif
Hope they can continue to handle yet another harsh winter.

I like your idea to do an EARLY SPRING DANCE! Can't hurt, right?!
yippiechickie.gif
bun.gif

Take care, all....stay warm & safe.

TOB

Hi -- great to have information from the 1800's....so was wondering....how do you tame a mean chicken or rooster? I have a 9 month old buff cochin bantam rooster and he has been great until just recently....he "attacks" me when I feed him and his (2) girls....maybe it has something to do with been "cooped up" with this terrible winter we are having....I do open the coop door every few days when the temperature goes above 25 degrees - (I live in upstate NY) but he doesn't come out....A few times I've held him up by his legs for a few minutes and he seems to calm down....any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks so much....

I've just joined BYC and my new member intro is https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/952480/new-member
Located east of Lake Ontario about 40 miles north of Syracuse. Keep chickens mostly for eggs, interested in sustainability-- breeding our own chicks and feeding as much as possible from what we can grow. Like to hear what others are doing who have similar goals and are in a similar environment.

WELCOME to the "flock" Rainey!

I've just got a small flock for eggs and pets / hobby......but I'm sure there are others here who have some similar interests and goals as you do.

TOB

Back
Top Bottom