NY chicken lover!!!!

Hi Saratoga area BYC'ers! I am your soon to be new neighbor!! We are a military family that are packing up and heading over to Ballston Spa, from Salem CT, sometime in July (in theory anyway, lol!).

I've been looking at the zoning maps for both Ballston Spa and Milton and am trying to figure out if we will be able to bring our small flock of (aging) pet laying hens but am not seeing anything helpful. The house my husband has been renting since he got there (in January) is technically in the Village which, unfortunately, isn't covered on either map.

Does anyone know if there are zoning restrictions on poultry over near the fairgrounds? The house is on Crestline Drive, if that helps.

Hubby has been doing some of the footwork for me. His roomate (who owns the house but will be moving out soon) "doesn't care" if we bring them with us and so far all of the neighbors he has spoken with (and given eggs to!) have been receptive to the idea. I just want to be sure of the official rules before I get my hopes up about moving them with us.

Thanks!!!

Welcome!! Hope things work out well for you...
smile.png

Welcome!! Hope things work out well for you...:)

Thanks!

I called the town office this morning. The lady who answered didn't know the answer, so she took my name and number and will pass it along to the "Code Enforcer" who is supposed to call me sometime tonight.

Keep us in your thoughts!

I am a nervous wreck over this! The thought of giving up my girls for something as transient as a 34mo move is heart breaking- especially considering that 1) theyre all over 4yrs old and 2) This move is the last hurdle before we can go home where zoning isn't really a thing and our neighbors won't be close enough to care whether or not we have chickens.

Who is this mark you keep yanking about rancher??? :)

Holy Hannah it's hot and humid out! Just hauled out fresh water to everyone and gave them Greek yogurt with Naan bread. Guess I better get some melons and freeze them. Eggs are in lock down and I saw one move. I hope they hatch soon. I now have 2 broody silkies sitting on eggs. I will have to look and candle tonight as to the number. Why couldn't they have done this 2 months ago???
1f62c.png
they make me crazy.

That thread is very helpful. I will bring my tools & am happy to show landmarks on a bird if someone has a 6-8wk cockrel they r bringing. I've only done only 10 birds so far and I did lose one on the table when he flopped at just the wrong time. I'm not as fast & efficient as I'd like to be.
If I was coming I'd be sure to steer clear of you.

Back
Top Bottom