NY chicken lover!!!!

I have one and I am fried!!!  Except for my students...add an extra 30! I think you will get a feel for your area to know if it is ok or not!  If not, make soup!

I'm going to use this logic when I talk to DH. I love soup in winter. ;-)
I'm going to research some processing places too, because I'd love someone to make some sausage for me. I guess I could learn to make it myself.

I just reread the information on my nipple watering system. It will provide water for up to 40 chickens! Woohoo. I have multiple places in the coop for food. All I have to do is get the system to stop leaking (which I think I finally fixed today.) I'm going to hook up the whole thing tomorrow. I'll post pictures. I hope I can keep it from freezing too. I have a plan.

Gramma, they were a yr old in May. No change in feed. I actually planned on culling them (would have been nice if they could have been in the soup pot) and a few more as soon as the giants and sussex start laying good. The only two I planned on keeping out of that bunch are two that my girls claimed, a polish that lays good, and a EE that doesn't look like a EE and lays a olive egg, currently my best layer except when she went broody and I shouldn't have allowed it but she hatched three EE/welsummer's. I suppose I have to keep those three also, all look like pullets so far.
And thanks Pyxis, I've never had sick chickens before and it kinda worries me after reading that. Everything good so far, keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm going to use this logic when I talk to DH. I love soup in winter. ;-)

I'm going to research some processing places too, because I'd love someone to make some sausage for me. I guess I could learn to make it myself.

Sausage making is actually pretty easy. I've never made chicken sausage but I make 10-25 lbs of turkey Italian sausage every yr around the holidays when turkey is .49cents a lb. I debone the whole turkey, grind, add chopped onion and green peppers with the seasoning, run back through grinder into hog casings I buy at Price Chopper now. Going to try sheep casings this yr to make skinnier sausage, tried the non-gut natural collagen casings one yr for venison hotdogs and bear breakfast sausage, didn't like them. End product fine, just to hard to fill.
You don't have to even use casings on sausage, I just like to. You can make your own spice mix, I don't. The only thing I do is add extra sage to the breakfast sausage, and sometimes add crushed red pepper flakes to Italian sausage.
I get all my seasoning from LEM, you can buy seasoning for 5 lbs, only costs a couple bucks more for enough for 25lbs, what I get and just save it. Our local Big M in Walton has what they use for seasoning for sale during deer season also. I add 20% pork fat to my venison sausage, hotdogs and bologna. If you buy it when they have it is out in stores it's $$$. I call our local Great American in Sidney, takes them a few days, usually ask for 25lbs, I get it for .29cents a lb.
http://www.lemproducts.com/category/sausage

Last edited:
Is anyone going? It's near Albany. I'm looking to buy about 6 laying hens for my boyfriends flock...

Last edited:
I know a lot of you bake and such so I wanted to ask here before I offer on Craigslist. I have several black walnut trees that are producing VERY well this year. If any of you are interested just let me know. They can be used in any recipe you would put English walnuts in.

It's tied to the ceiling in three spots, but I will add more, especially when I add the heat tape. I didn't want to put it near the wall because of heat loss. Thank you for the advice.

My water system. It has the slightest drip that I want to fix before winter. I'll use heat tape along the pipe and around the storage bin. I'm still working out the kinks.

Now to train them. :)

I like the idea of using PVC piping and heat tape. Trying to figure out how I might be able to finagle that in my chx house. Right now I'm using the multiple buckets method. If I keep multiple buckets, I will have to heat each one, lots of cords, etc. Hmm.

Back
Top Bottom