NY chicken lover!!!!

Just a quick tip, as there was a thing on Yahoo.

If you have a spot on your carpet, you can use simple men's shave cream. I learned this tip when working in a retirement home from the maintenance job. Just squirt in on the spot and clean as usual.

@shodack EEs are my best laying birds. I have one that lays consistently all winter and lays a olive egg . Of my current layers the EE and two young EE welsummer cross pullets are the only ones I'm keeping.

@Beer can , I have one EE who lays very well through winter. All my customers want one of her eggs in the carton. My other EE lays small light brown eggs, i was a bit disappointed. I have an EE rooster who is so pretty with all his colors.

I put in a light for winter so they stay laying all winter.

Last edited:
I've used no light the last couple winters and still get just enough eggs. I have at least one red sussex that has been laying, maybe two. I regretfully didn't get the nest boxes attached to the small coop, that I can open from the outside. So the only option I have is squeezing through the pop door to get the eggs. Good thing I made the hole big enough for the giants or I'd need one of those grabber tool thingy's Lol. I need to get the sussex into the big coop, just haven't had the time.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Haven't been on in quite some time. Missed all the fun talks and pointers on how and when and why we keep these birds. Listed some birds for sale on CL and after speaking with a very nice woman, who also is on here
big_smile.png
, I got back on and wanted to check in. As with what Rancher said a few posts ago, our birds have been numbering over 100 down to 25 or so. Right now my daughters, 16 and 12, are picking some breeds for this year to show. We just got a trio of black English Orpingtons for the 16 yr old and my little one is raising some Pyncheon bantams and a trio of Silver Sebrights we just picked up today. From a heated and quite lovely barn. So, guess where they are???? In my basement. Ugh. They are awfully cute... Anyway, here is to another year of friendly birds and friendly bird friends!

Off to sweep out the coop and maybe update my profile later.

Keep warm!

YAY!!!! 9 dozen eggs gone!! 3 to my neighbor and 6 in exchange for empty egg cartons. . Down to only 6 again. 6 is manageable, I can use those in one meal.
Tab has a pound cake recipe that uses 10 eggs. DW made them today along with a pot of Bean soup. I have some Cranberry Jelly to put on the pound cake. She also found a bag of raspberries in the freezer.

Weather here is real crappy. DD is coming to get me so we can pick up my car. We had the snows put on finally.

I've used no light the last couple winters and still get just enough eggs. I have at least one red sussex that has been laying, maybe two. I regretfully didn't get the nest boxes attached to the small coop, that I can open from the outside. So the only option I have is squeezing through the pop door to get the eggs. Good thing I made the hole big enough for the giants or I'd need one of those grabber tool thingy's Lol. I need to get the sussex into the big coop, just haven't had the time.

I have nesting boxes that open from the outside, but they have always leaked. Water always gets inside no matter what I try to use to fix it. So IJust cover them with plastic year round and gather eggs by going inside.

Tab has a pound cake recipe that uses 10 eggs.  DW made them today along with a pot of Bean soup.  I have some Cranberry Jelly to put on the pound cake.  She also found a bag of raspberries in the freezer.  

Weather here is real crappy.  DD is coming to get me so we can pick up my car. We had the snows put on finally. 
That's several mentions of Tab's pound cake, recipe please anyone!!

Back
Top Bottom