NY chicken lover!!!!

Hey NY chicken friends.
I moved to the Capitol district area recently from ID and I'm looking to rebuild our chicken life. We're planning on getting chicks but curious where to go. I'd prefer to support local farmers and/or 4H kids. We are doing it for eggs and have a few breeds we'd like to try plus some old favorites. Any advice or locals you can hook me up with? I haven't contacted 4h yet but I have their information.

Welcome! I'm sure there's plenty of us here that will be happy to provide you with chicks. Also, if you mention what breeds you're interested in, then those who have them might be able to help you out.

We're like 1 1/2 to 2 hours from the Capitol district, but often make trips up there to visit extended family or shopping.

It's been raining all day, quite hard at times. We've had the electric go out for a minute or less about 10 times today. We can hear the wind blowing inside the house, and outside it's very loud, the trees are blowing back & forth a lot! Had a good sized tree limb fall on the aviary netting, but thankfully, no damage.

@Sweetpea3829 I went outside today, and found several miniature "ponds" that had formed in the chicken yard! It was so bad that it ended up tripping the GFCI outlet, so all the lights, heated water bowls & the lights for the brooder barn were off. After letting everyone out, giving them food/water, I unplugged electricity to 1/2 of the coops & restored power to the brooder barn, SFH & Biel coops.
Thankfully, the chicks are ok since it was 50* when their electric went out. They've had a rough weekend, that's for sure! They went from -15*F Sunday morning to 48* above zero today!
I finally counted up Sunday's losses = 15 chicks; So, I started out with 57 chicks, sold 28 cockerels at the auction; lost 15, and now have 14 chicks left - some of which include the cockerels that I didn't sent to the auction!
barnie.gif

Thankfully, I have a "few" more chicks due next Sunday, and hopefully they'll do better. Hoping to collect more eggs to incubate. Plus, I'm in the planning stages for making more "cooler bators"!

Hubby dug out the french drain in front of the coop and said the water began draining off immediately. So yay!

Going to have to work on that in the spring.

Now...aside from a temporary floor in there...I'm assuming ALL shavings need to be removed, yes? Should I leave any of the "seasoned" shavings or just start afresh?

If you have lots of shavings or hay I would just build up on what you have in there. Keep adding til you get it so it's dry. Come spring you'll want to fix things better. You want to make sure to keep the floor high. In the spring if you can you might be able to add framing around all four sides at the bottom and be able to lift it up some. Even four inches might help.

Hey NY chicken friends.
I moved to the Capitol district area recently from ID and I'm looking to rebuild our chicken life. We're planning on getting chicks but curious where to go. I'd prefer to support local farmers and/or 4H kids. We are doing it for eggs and have a few breeds we'd like to try plus some old favorites. Any advice or locals you can hook me up with? I haven't contacted 4h yet but I have their information.

I got chicks from a guy in Amsterdam which may not be to far from you. Josh is on Linkedin. Check CL in your area. I got Cuckoo Marans but last I heard he had orpingtons. [email protected] is the last contact info I have for him.

Orpingtons are a nice breed. Let me know what you find out if you contact him.

Rancher...is that the same Josh Rockwood that was in the news for those awful animal abuse charges (which were so ridiculous)? If so...he can be found at his Facebook page, Friends of West Wind Acres.

I know he has birds...but I'm not sure if he's keeping layers. I think he just has meaties.

So...Rosco LIVES! Followed the little (insert dirty word here, cause I don't swear)'s tracks around the coop, along the fence line in the run, etc. Man alive...I can't kill this thing! And now I'm REALLY glad I didn't put poison in the coop, because he obviously does a fair amount of traveling.

The coop floor drained pretty well once J cleared the drain...still some water trapped underneath, but not bad. Tomorrow I'll assess the damage and go from there. Saturday looks to be a warm day..maybe I can get things cleaned up then.

Hey NY chicken friends.

Welcome! We are in the area. I'll have blue, black, splash, chocolate cuckoo, and chocolate Orpingtons, speckled sussex, and Easter egger chicks for sale.

I've got chicks in the incubator that are due to hatch on Sunday.

Sweet pea, I would take all the soggy stuff out tomorrow. It isn't supposed to be too cold tonight, but my experience is that if you try to put dry onto wet, you will have lots of moist. And here at least tomorrow night will be very cold. Put it in the garden or compost...

Hi all! I'm Ashley and my husband and I are going to pick up our first six chicks on Thursday from the Poultry Hatchery in Clifton Springs. We're so excited!!

We have a little brooder right now in a 50 gal Rubbermaid container, but I know they'll need more room very quickly. Does anyone know where I can find a giant cardboard box? Or pallets? I live in Cato and I can travel pretty much anywhere within an hour drive.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much for the response. We're looking for Easter Eggers and orpingtons. I have young kids and they are stoked about the idea of a blue chicken. I think that they're thinking they are royal blue chickens. We had silver laced Wyandottes and I'm hoping to find a few of those at some point as well. Let me know when and where to come get chicks. We'd love to support you.

I'm about 8 miles south of Albany if anyone needs cool eggs to incubate. Not necessarily purebred but cheap and very fertile! $8/dozen.
We've gotten a ton of Olive Eggers out of these (Black Copper Maran X Cream Legbar & Easter Egger).
I do have my Silver Laced Wyandottes separated (1 Roo, 6 hens) if anyone wants SLW eggs.
Just shoot me a message!
Love chatting with other local people about chicken raising--not a ton in the suburbs of Albany but it's a growing hobby!
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom