NY chicken lover!!!!

Hello everyone! I am brand new to raising chickens, I am trying to learn and gather as much info as possible. I am hoping to be able to purchase a small flock and start raising chickens for eggs this spring. I was thinking about starting out with 6-12 chicks. I am also on a budget so I am looking at making a coop from pallets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am located in Saratoga county, any other's located in Saratoga county?

When it rains it pours!!! Had my hen with the cut in the crib brooder on the porch and it has saved her life. I went out to do chores this morning and was thinking how quiet it was. No crowing...Once I opened the door to my hoop coop I found out why...They were dead! They were all on the floor all dead except one rooster. He isn't in good shape at all I think that his neck may be broken. I'm not sure, but I think that I'm going to have to put him down. I can't bare to see him suffering. They weren't eaten at all just all dead. I'm pretty sure that it was a mink/weasel. There wasn't any signs of it being anything bigger. I have the welded wire over the panels so there wasn't a way for anything big to get in there. I did notice this afternoon a hole by the pop door that was about 2 inches wide. I have straw bales in front of the door because I don't use that one during the winter. I have cleaned up all the bodies and set a trap in the coop . I hope that it will come back tonight so I can take care of it. I just really worry cause the hoop coop is right next to the duck coop. I would lose it if I woke up to all my ducks dead! The hardest thing was telling the kids.,,

Oh and they were the all of my large fowl birds...I knew I needed more, but I didn't think that it would be this soon...

Luv I don't know if this will help you at all but I have 3 healthy BSL's you can have free. "Dinner" (because she's a naughty girl, & she is often threaten with being made just that) lays a JUMBO egg almost every day and her 2 sister hens "Lunch" and "Breakfast" lay an extra large egg almost every day. They will be 1 yr old May 6th of this coming spring. I would be happy to give you these girls if it would help at all. I don't know where you live, but I live in Rome, NY all you need do is pick the girls up. Let me know if this would help.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I am brand new to raising chickens, I am trying to learn and gather as much info as possible. I am hoping to be able to purchase a small flock and start raising chickens for eggs this spring. I was thinking about starting out with 6-12 chicks. I am also on a budget so I am looking at making a coop from pallets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am located in Saratoga county, any other's located in Saratoga county?

Welcome to the chicken enablers circle!
smile.png
You will find several coop designs in the Learning Center - that will give you some ideas. If you care to see my pics I have made all of my coops, some with pallet wood. If you are new to pallet wood building, try to get the heat treated pallets only (usually marked HT somewhere). The older pallets were all treated with chemicals and may still 'off-gas', so are not good for any livestock.
This site has tons of info. on everything chicken, but remember, a lot of it is someone's opinion - don't take it as gospel - just because it's printed doesn't make it true, including me! Also, as others will tell you - what works for one, may not work for you.
Enjoy your new addiction I mean hobby!
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to the chicken enablers circle! :)     You will find several coop designs in the Learning Center - that will give you some ideas. If you care to see my pics I have made all of my coops, some with pallet wood. If you are new to pallet wood building, try to get the heat treated pallets only (usually marked HT  somewhere). The older pallets were all treated with chemicals and may still 'off-gas', so are not good for any livestock.
This site has tons of info. on everything chicken, but remember, a lot of it is someone's opinion - don't take it as gospel - just because it's printed doesn't make it true, including me! Also, as others will tell you - what works for one, may not work for you.
  Enjoy your new addiction I mean hobby!   :thumbsup

I would love to see pictures of your pallet coops. I was wondering if anyone had success with them. I have never worked with pallets sothanks fopassin on the info

Welcome to BYC.
Last year was my 1st year with chickens and on BYC... there are tons of wonderful people here to help you along the way. Access to numerous kinds of chicks that you can buy direct from these wonderful people, support when things don't go as planned and plenty of support to enable chicken craziness.

Does anyone know if an opossum would kill a grown chicken or a rabbit? My son just heard a crash in the backyard and when we put on the light, there was a huge one drinking from the water bowl. I hope it's completely nocturnal. If it shows up during the daylight when my critters are out, God only knows what we'll do.

Yes they do sometimes ....if they did ..it would probably be at night .
Opossum that I have seen around here at night have never bothered my chickens..
They are usually just walking through ..
They may be able to find some food scraps around outside also

Back
Top Bottom