NY chicken lover!!!!

They will go on 'lock down on the 19th. Candled last night, seems like most are fertile - we'll see how it goes, I'm having trouble maintaining a steady, constant temp. George the rooster is a keeper! This is all Metellas' fault....
wink.png
A fluctuation of a couple of . * 's won't hurt. I've read a temp of 101.5 isn't to high. Of course my last hatch left too many unhatched so never mind. Don't listen to me.

Though I might have watched the humidity better.

Chicken are a really BAD hobby to get into..

No matter what you have you want something different.

No matter how many you have, you want more.

No matter, if you start with chickens, then you want ducks, turkeys, pheasant ...

Yeah, someone should have warned me.

Well I'm glad everyone is Eggcited to hatch chicks. Wonder how many TSC will sell

Does anyone here hire a sitter to care for their birds while they're away?  

A girl I work with has been asking me about chicks for a few weeks now. I let her know I set a bunch of eggs & a few days later she couldn't wait to tell me: she stopped into TSC and bought a 6-pack of bantams. I think TSC is doing just fine, lol.

I have a house sitter that takes care of the cats, parrot, and chickens when I need to go out of town for a day or two. She's not real keen on the chickens, but they do alright.

That sounds cool...Too bad I can't even add an ap because I have too many chicken pics on my phone! LOL

I need more first line Isbars here. I have a lot of the second but not the first for my mating program to come.....

I had to break down and get a new iPod for xmas, the other was 5 years old and 16g. New one is the 64g, so I can add apps again.
I will be looking to sell chicks once they hatch, no way I need this many. I want to keep a couple for eye candy.

Definitely some bators are easier to keep stable than others. Fingers crossed for an eggcelent hatch!!! :D

Mine is driving me batty. Of course the highly fluctuating house temp is no help.

52 eggs in an incubator for 42 lol
Plus 6 of my own under a broody. Go Easter Hatchers!

Well I'm glad everyone is Eggcited to hatch chicks. Wonder how many TSC will sell or why anyone would buy chicks. Even in my worst hatches I get enough chicks. I suppose it's being able to tell the xes. 

Anyhow I've seven chicks now and dumped far to many unhatched eggs. I'll be setting more soon. Don't know why. 

I had a guy call to buy chickens and offered him the 7 C. Rocks for $70.  Four of the hens just started laying this winter, so they are young. He says yes but I'm still waiting for him to show.  There are 6 hens and the rooster. I didn't realize there is a 7th hen in there. She's got more while. 

The plan is to downsize enough so I can travel. 

I figured to empty the back Marans coop and just have birds inside the fenced in yard. 

Does anyone here hire a sitter to care for their birds while they're away?  
Yes. Our babysitter is a teenager and we had her watch our house, dog and chickens for the long weekend we were away. I paid her $50 and a dozen eggs.

I'm sure TSC does okay but every year they offer me a twofer. "Course I do spend quite a bit in there. They know me by name and I give the eggs and jam sometimes.

I would like someone who could stay for a month at a time. I have a guy come for seven today with a little cage.
lau.gif
My C.Rocks are way to big for a small cage.

Now if anyone wants eggs now's the time. I will be setting eggs again tomorrow most likely. Frenchy is laying again. I can't believe it. I don't understand it, she should be way past laying age. I know they're hers. No other hen would lay an egg that small consistently.

Bakerz, if you're young it's not a problem. Go with it until you can't go anymore. What you don't use, you lose. Keep moving and stay one step ahead of old age as long as you can.

Only thing got me out of bed when I was sick was the chickens. It wouldn't have been so hard if I didn't have so many though. Nearly killed me too.

Now in church I tell DW not to sit near the little germ factories. I don't want to get sick again.

I got chicks and might part with three if anyone is interested. Dels or CRocks and EE's. One is a little scrawny. Hasn't poofed up yet either. Seems okay but you never know. Free if you come and get 'em.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I just signed up tonight, although I've been lurking here off and on for a couple of years. I'm from the finger lakes region and started my flock of Buff Orps last summer along with a couple dozen freedom rangers. The Orps are doing great and started laying recently. I just ordered this years rangers and will be getting the first half of them in a couple of weeks.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom