NY chicken lover!!!!

If anyone in the Hudson Valley area is interested I have some 9 month old hens for sale. I have 3 (straight feathered) Black Frizzle Cochin Bantam hens for $15 each. Which means their feathers didn't frizzle but can be bread with a frizzle rooster to get frizzle offspring. They lay very tiny cream colored eggs. I also have 2 Salmon Faverolles for $10 each, and they lay small-medium cream colored eggs. Will sell all for $45 All hens were bought from MyPetChicken, and they're all currently laying. I'm located in Fort Montgomery

Anyone on this thread hatch with a brinsea advanced. I have been using a seperate temp/humidity reader ( can't remember what they're called) to check my brinsea eco's. They have been pretty close, I just put it in my brinsea advanced and it read 96.4* when the actual unit says 99.6. I checked it with a meat thermometer and also got 96.4. I then checked the eco's with the meat thermometer and it was accurate for them. I raised the temp on the unit to 101.00 and the indie dent reader is now in a normal range. I had eggs in the advanced that do show growth and they won't be on day 7 until Thursday. So I'm wondering if I should keep it at the reading now or put it back the way it was. Maybe the advanced is right and the independent reader is wrong. I'm kinda afraid I will cook the eggs. Then again my hatched have sucked this year. Maybe that was the problem.

Anyone on this thread hatch with a brinsea advanced. I have been using a seperate temp/humidity reader ( can't remember what they're called) to check my brinsea eco's. They have been pretty close, I just put it in my brinsea advanced and it read 96.4* when the actual unit says 99.6. I checked it with a meat thermometer and also got 96.4. I then checked the eco's with the meat thermometer and it was accurate for them. I raised the temp on the unit to 101.00 and the indie dent reader is now in a normal range. I had eggs in the advanced that do show growth and they won't be on day 7 until Thursday. So I'm wondering if I should keep it at the reading now or put it back the way it was. Maybe the advanced is right and the independent reader is wrong. I'm kinda afraid I will cook the eggs. Then again my hatched have sucked this year. Maybe that was the problem.

I've heard many people swear by using the Brinsea spot check thermometer for checking accuracy, even those with hova's. If your using "separate temp/humidity reader" that is known for it's accuracy I'd say go by it, adjust. I don't know anything about hatching yet though so just my opinion. I think it is BS that you would pay so much for a incu to have to buy another more accurate therm to double check. I bought a Hova-Bator 1588 and will be firing it up in two weeks. I knew it was made of Styrofoam, WOW though, I'll have to be careful with it, hide it from the kids, they could tear it up in no time, super cheap almost dollar store quality IMHO, therm/hydrom better be accurate for that $$. Came with the IncuTurn turner, super cheesy also.
I'm fortunate at my job I have access to highly accurate state certified thermometers, and the Hova, when I checked...was dead on.
One miss-conception on calibrating thermometers is the ice bath method of 32 degrees...your only most accurate within the 32 degree mark, if you want to be accurate at 99-100 degrees you have to use a hot water bath method with a state certified thermometer. Know what they use? They're glass, with mercury in them....we can't buy those anymore though can we?

Just had a silly thought...are all chicken butts calibrated to the same temp?
idunno.gif
You are Funny !
The normal body temperature of a chicken ranges between 104°-107° F; it regulates its body temperature by the amount it eats and by panting.
Chickens brood with their breasts ...not their butts ...LOL
A broody chicken will pluck off her breast feathers and her bare skin will lay against the eggs
can-stock-photo_csp31527099.jpg

I've heard many people swear by using the Brinsea spot check thermometer for checking accuracy, even those with hova's. If your using "separate temp/humidity reader" that is known for it's accuracy I'd say go by it, adjust. I don't know anything about hatching yet though so just my opinion. I think it is BS that you would pay so much for a incu to have to buy another more accurate therm to double check. I bought a Hova-Bator 1588 and will be firing it up in two weeks. I knew it was made of Styrofoam, WOW though, I'll have to be careful with it, hide it from the kids, they could tear it up in no time, super cheap almost dollar store quality IMHO, therm/hydrom better be accurate for that $$. Came with the IncuTurn turner, super cheesy also.
I'm fortunate at my job I have access to highly accurate state certified thermometers, and the Hova, when I checked...was dead on.
One miss-conception on calibrating thermometers is the ice bath method of 32 degrees...your only most accurate within the 32 degree mark, if you want to be accurate at 99-100 degrees you have to use a hot water bath method with a state certified thermometer. Know what they use? They're glass, with mercury in them....we can't buy those anymore though can we?

Thanks! I agree about for the price you pay it should be accurate. That's why I bought it. I wanted something durable and easy to clean, not like the styrofoam ones. It's a good thing too because last year my son knocked it off the table. It was fine but lost a chick mid hatch. I find the base easy to clean but not really the lid. It does hold very steady. I got my fingers crossed that I get a few babied Thursday.

I heard something about lowering the temp when hatching. Anyone else do this? I have always left it at the 99.5.

Thanks! I agree about for the price you pay it should be accurate. That's why I bought it. I wanted something durable and easy to clean, not like the styrofoam ones. It's a good thing too because last year my son knocked it off the table. It was fine but lost a chick mid hatch. I find the base easy to clean but not really the lid. It does hold very steady. I got my fingers crossed that I get a few babied Thursday.

I heard something about lowering the temp when hatching. Anyone else do this? I have always left it at the 99.5.
Would it have had something happen internally to it when it got knocked off the table?

I don't lower the temp at hatching. I really like the spot check. I bought that when I had the styrobator and already invested in three wrong thermometers. Do the ice bath test on the thermometer. I If it was me I would have set it at 101 also.

How did your other hatches go? Slow development and late hatches? If so, that's low temp issue.

-Christina

When they start hatching the humidity usually shoots up, so I lower the temp by one degree. It's all about getting enough oxygen. When the air gets so saturated with moisture and heat it is good to lower it just a little. Think about how much harder it is to breath when we get one of those oppressive hot and humid days.

I love/hate my Brinsea. Like that I can adjust for different size eggs and for most of the hatch the temp stays pretty steady. Don't like taking the top apart to clean it and the temp is all over the place when they start to pip and the humidity goes up. It's also hard to get the humidity up without adding sponges. The turner stopped working after the first year. Pretty shabby for the price you pay.

When they start hatching the humidity usually shoots up, so I lower the temp by one degree.  It's all about getting enough oxygen.  When the air gets so saturated with moisture and heat it is good to lower it just a little.  Think about how much harder it is to breath when we get one of those oppressive hot and humid days.

I love/hate my Brinsea.  Like that I can adjust for different size eggs and for most of the hatch the temp stays pretty steady.  Don't like taking the top apart to clean it and the temp is all over the place when they start to pip and the humidity goes up.  It's also hard to get the humidity up without adding sponges.  The turner stopped working after the first year.  Pretty shabby for the price you pay.

Yeah it's is a love hate type of relationship. I hate taking the top apart to clean it. It's why I now have 3. I am now only using 1 as a hatcher. For me it's impossible to get the humidity up without a sponge. My turner is still working but every once in a while stops. It also makes a clicking noise. This started in the first year. I have to say it's not an all bad incubator but should be cheaper.

Yeah it's is a love hate type of relationship. I hate taking the top apart to clean it. It's why I now have 3. I am now only using 1 as a hatcher. For me it's impossible to get the humidity up without a sponge. My turner is still working but every once in a while stops. It also makes a clicking noise. This started in the first year. I have to say it's not an all bad incubator but should be cheaper.

So I would think your turner is on the way out as well. I certainly didn't overload it or anything, just poor design. Must make time to take it apart and try to figure out if the clutch needs replacing or something else is wrong. Apparently they know about the problems because there are a lot of extravagant replacement parts to fix them.

Back
Top Bottom