NY chicken lover!!!!

It's recommended to take the first few chicks till mom is done hatching and then put them back later.

Though I usually don't have anywhere for Mom and her chicks. Now I've got Frenchy and am pondering a set up for her to stay with them.

I use Sweet PDZ, granular.  Haven't gotten a bag in a while though.  In my chick brooder, I would lay down newspaper, followed by a sprinkling of Sweet PDZ, then topped with shavings.  Newspaper was to make cleanup easier, but as they get larger they shred it while scratching anyways.  Really helped keep the smell down.  Need another bag because my cats stink, works great in the litter box (mixed w/ regular cat litter).
I think you mentioned trying kitty litter in the coop.  I wouldn't, as some of the litters have additives for absorption and odor control that I suspect would be harmful if ingested by a pecking chicken.   
the cat litter was me, I use plain clay litter. Its not great for a cat box but works goose as an odor absorber in the coop and totally safe if ingested. Most aren't safe .

I know ....but...I dont want to take care of chicks ...When I got a chicken who will do it ...LOL..
longs I have another broody who is about a week behind her mother ...
momma titi is already starting to show them to eat ..so I will probably switch the one egg to her daughter tomorrow ..
If it hatches I will give it back to her mother ...

Last edited:
I'll send you a PM
big_smile.png
I Replied

Been a good couple of days here. I got this:

And promptly filled it.

Also have ducklings in lockdown and two have hatched so far
smile.png

Spent a nice afternoon recovering from a dentist visit out with the birds. Took the goslings out into the yard and let them eat some grass and climb on me and chew on my jacket. Goslings are such chewy little things, I don't know why.
I have the same one and it only has one, rather big problem. The arm that controls the cradle rocker breaks. It has broken on me 2 times in 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom