NY chicken lover!!!!

Keep me in mind when the time comes. Things around here ebb and flow. The number goes up and down. 

I've talked so a judge or two at the fair but never show. I worry about bringing home problems. Some years the birds looked really bad. In your case you might want to consider being a judge as they're getting older. There is no money in it though. In my opinion the bigger money prize the more competition. They may need more sponsors but that takes time and work that chicken folks don't have. 

Oh, I just want to see what a poultry show us all about. I've had birds now for a few years, but I still feel like a complete noob. Other than on here I don't know anyone else in NY with chicken-itis.:'( I'm also stuck living right in Binghamton, so No Roosters is the law of the land... Though I do have over the max # of birds & that banty with the chicks, all on the down low (Shhh...). ;-)

Today Big Red took her kids out to explore the big world of free range. Needless to say the rest of the flock treated the babies like they were royalty. They were all calling the chicks to come taste new bugs.

Are you sure this is what's going on?  I wouldn't treat it unless you are certain. Have you got any pics. 

Honestly- no. But it's the only thing repeated searches keep coming back to.

She has the major symptoms: her belly is distended and hard, she waddles like a penguin, and her breathing is labored. BUT she'll eat if I offer her something from my hand, her comb and wattles are normal, she's passing normal looking stools, and she's out foraging with everyone else at the moment (however slowly she waddles after them). I checked for a stuck egg all the way up to my middle knuckle, but didn't feel anything solid, so I don't think she's egg bound. From what I've read, the Ascites is caused by either cancer, organ failure or egg yolk peritonitis.

I'm completely baffled, but I feel like getting a look at the fluid would at least give her a little breathing room and give me a better idea about what's causing the edema in the first place.

Honestly- no. But it's the only thing repeated searches keep coming back to.

She has the major symptoms: her belly is distended and hard, she waddles like a penguin, and her breathing is labored. BUT she'll eat if I offer her something from my hand, her comb and wattles are normal, she's passing normal looking stools, and she's out foraging with everyone else at the moment (however slowly she waddles after them). I checked for a stuck egg all the way up to my middle knuckle, but didn't feel anything solid, so I don't think she's egg bound. From what I've read, the Ascites is caused by either cancer, organ failure or egg yolk peritonitis.

I'm completely baffled, but I feel like getting a look at the fluid would at least give her a little breathing room and give me a better idea about what's causing the edema in the first place.

If she is a large bird, I would quarantine her. Give her a lot of insoluble grit. I mean a lot, and put it on top of her food so she has to eat it. In her water an antibiotic. Are you feeding crumbles? What kind?

This is Buckwheat, she got large and after a while the swelling went down and she began to lay again. She's swollen again but seems okay.

The research I read was useless and I think there are to many reasons for Buckwheats condition to know what's what without cutting her open. So I did what I did and prayed.

This was her afterwards.

If she is a large bird, I would quarantine her. Give her a lot of insoluble grit. I mean a lot, and put it on top of her food so she has to eat it. In her water an antibiotic. Are you feeding crumbles? What kind? This is Buckwheat, she got large and after a while the swelling went down and she began to lay again. She's swollen again but seems okay. The research I read was useless and I think there are to many reasons for Buckwheats condition to know what's what without cutting her open. So I did what I did and prayed. This was her afterwards.
You've given me hope! Thank you! What is the purpose of covering her food in grit? She's a bantam cochin. I feed them the layer pellets from Agway and they free range in my backyard for most of the day. I had her isolated this morning, but turned her out this afternoon to see what she would do. Aside from the waddling, she acted normally and is, in fact, on the roost next to her sisters (I have NO idea how she got up there, as swollen as she is). I ordered her some Duramycin 10 and rushed the shipping, so it should be here tomorrow and then I'll isolate her and reasses after the first course is finished. I think you're right- I REALLY don't want to try draining her and the further I look into it, it may cause more trouble than it solves. If it's an infection, the antibiotic should help. If it's something else, it won't, right?

You've given me hope! Thank you! What is the purpose of covering her food in grit?

She's a bantam cochin. I feed them the layer pellets from Agway and they free range in my backyard for most of the day.

I had her isolated this morning, but turned her out this afternoon to see what she would do. Aside from the waddling, she acted normally and is, in fact, on the roost next to her sisters (I have NO idea how she got up there, as swollen as she is). I ordered her some Duramycin 10 and rushed the shipping, so it should be here tomorrow and then I'll isolate her and reasses after the first course is finished.

I think you're right- I REALLY don't want to try draining her and the further I look into it, it may cause more trouble than it solves. If it's an infection, the antibiotic should help. If it's something else, it won't, right?
I figure the Grit will help move anything that might be causing a blockage. I covered the food with grit to ensure she ate some. If she has an egg bound situation. Can't hurt and might help. Since everything I read said she was a goner, what did I have to lose?

I know there are those who figure they get plenty of grit from the ground, but I see my girls digging in the run so I make sure if I give the lettuce or greens to dump a bunch of grit on top.

Too, I did have an EE doing the duck walk for the longest time. Since she still got on the roost I just left her. She had no trouble hopping up into the coop. She would have nothing to do with being quarantined. She was still laying and did for over a year or so. She eventually died in the nest box.

Trouble with chickens is you can't really know what is wrong without cutting them open or doing blood tests. In the end they die anyhow.

If a hen or roo seems to be suffering I just put them down. It's hard but their feelings come first. If it's genetic or whatever you don't want to pass it on, even if they do survive.

Buckwheat is the daughter of Frenchy a little frizzle I got with my first order of chicks. Frenchy is going on nine. This is her with her recent batch of chicks. None of the eggs were hers though she does lay sporadically. If her eggs were fertile I'd definitely let her sit. I think she's broody again, but I don't want to stress her by giving her eggs.

I hope your girl does well. If you believe in miracles put your hands on her and ask God to help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom